Kitchen Sign (relief)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen Sign (relief)

I guess this is my first post, so I'll introduce myself.
    I am Gerald, and a beginner carver who is interested in learning.

I am currently interested in carved wood signs, so I am starting with a small indoor sign for a kitchen.

Lumber yard cedar (western red I assume) and the eggs are Manitoba Maple (Box Elder) (Acer negundo).

I am planning on some paint on this one, so there is more progress to come still.

Hi Gerald, you got a Great looking Sign started and looking forward in seeing it Painted. Welcome. Merle

Comment

Hi Gerald
      Very nice work, nice contrast of woods, very well done
      Bruce

Comment

This is lovely. I like how you carved the eggs out of different wood. Very nice.

Comment

Like it, You'll find that the add-on will add to your work Welcome to posting
          . . .JoeB

Comment

Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to your progress.
            Arthur

Comment

Welcome to the forums! That's a great looking sign!

Claude
              My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
              My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
              My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
              My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Thanks for joining us and sharing your cute sign. Good contrasts on the wood and novel use of egg shapes and color of wood for that wording. Let us see the progress on the sign.
                Donna_T
                From Missouri

Comment

Nice looking sign. Will you put a finish on it? Thanks for showing and welcome to the forum. Enjoy your stay.
                  Carve On,
                  Kadiddle

Comment

Well done on the sign. Hope your experience with the cedar was better than mine, I found it to be a bear to carve. Contrasting eggs look very nice though with the cedar. Welcome.

Tinwood

Comment

I am finding the cedar tricky yes. It is soft, but splits etc. easily as I'm sure anyone who has tried it knows. I carved it carefully and with lots of stropping breaks.
                      I bought an 8 foot 1x8 so I will try a few projects with it before it is gone.

Comment

Pray to the great Splinter Spirit in the sky for favorable grain.

Tinwood

Comment

WRC = my favorite wood with carving sharp tools. Very nicely designed. I like how the eggs overlap eachother ever so slightly. Nice choice of fonts, too.

WRC: the background. You probably discovered that it carved easily one way but not the other. A consequence of using sawmn, not split, wood.
                          Next time you buy, make certain that the ring count is like 20/inch or better, 12 or less is too punky to carve with any tool.

Here's another good kitchen sign to try ( a magnet on my fridge door)

"If you want breakfast in bed,
                          Sleep in the kitchen."
                          Brian T

Comment

nice work

Comment

Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
                              WRC: the background. You probably discovered that it carved easily one way but not the other. A consequence of using sawn, not split, wood.
                              Next time you buy, make certain that the ring count is like 20/inch or better, 12 or less is too punky to carve with any tool.
                              I did notice that, and it changed from one area to another sometimes.
                              Thanks for the tip on purchasing. I will look for closer grain next shopping trip.

Gerald

Comment

Working...
                              X