Arkansas workshop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arkansas workshop

IMG_1624.JPG I've been lucky to have been included in the annual fall doll making workshop that Adina Huckins and Janet Cordell host in Winslow Arkansas this week. The week comes to an end today. While I am not a doll carver, I appreciate all the intricate work that goes into the process. I've wanted to take a class with these two talented Denton ladies for years and I've learned so much about carving realistic female faces, and even some animal anatomy, too. What few times I've attempted a female, they have always turned out to be "bubbas" and quite homely. Thanks to their ability to switch gears, they allowed two of us to carve things other than dolls. What an experience and I would recommend these two instructors to anyone who wants to improve their carving skills.

Here is the project I've worked on this week. It's pretty close to being finished with a bit of sanding and finishing left to do. IMG_1625.JPG
    From Missouri

Wow. Wish I could even close to that.

Comment

I have been at workshops where Adina and Janet taught. Incredible work. Did not know you were doing realistic humans; but, this piece is beautiful.

Comment

• Donna_T
        Donna_T commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey, Paul. I didn't think I could do it either. They are great instructors. And it was a fun time in the other side of your state. The Boston Mountains were beautiful. (And I found out that Janet has been doing beautiful animals for many, many years! Who knew? )

Very Well done, you paid Attention to Instructions in Class and Followed along very Well. Beautiful Piece. Merle

Comment

• Donna_T
        Donna_T commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Merle. It was a great class. I took lots of photos and have notes! Hope I remember all... or most of it.

Oh Donna, you must feel really satisfied with the results of the week. It's a beautiful female sculpture.

Comment

• Donna_T
        Donna_T commented
        Editing a comment
        I was scared to attempt it--totally outside my comfort zone. But it was on my bucket list....

Hi Donna
      I would say you were very lucky to have instructors that helped you create this lovely face. I would almost give my home up for chance to get in on instruction like that, great work.
      Bruce

Comment

Way .. to .. go .. Donna !! Beautiful !
        ....Dave
        Old carvers never die... they just whittle away.
        www.shellknobwoodcarvers.weebly.com

Comment

• Donna_T
          Donna_T commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, Dave. What an experience!

My word, that's beautiful work, even the flowers. It all looks so delicate. Nice work Donna.

Tinwood

Comment

• Donna_T
          Donna_T commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, it surprised even me!

Great job Donna,
        Charlie Wolfe [email protected]
        http://charleswolfe.weebly.com/

Comment

• Donna_T
          Donna_T commented
          Editing a comment
          Charles, they had a last minute opening and I was game for a new experience. Great experience. Now, I really must get busy and finish some carvings!

Lovely Carving, did you work from a model?

Comment

• Donna_T
          Donna_T commented
          Editing a comment
          The instructors had one finished carving to look at. They said it was too "skinny" but it was beautiful. They had a couple of carving roughouts that they demonstrated on instead of carving on mine. Great instructors.

Well done, Donna!

Claude
        My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
        My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
        My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
        My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

• Donna_T
          Donna_T commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, Claude. The weather is supposed to get bad today so I hope to get out to the shop to finish this carving.

That's very nice. Did you start with a roughout?
        Joe

Comment

• Donna_T
          Donna_T commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes. My old hands really appreciate roughouts!

very very nice

Comment

• Donna_T
          Donna_T commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you!

Nice piece Donna, it worth the efforts !

Comment

• Donna_T
          Donna_T commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. After 5 days with no carving, my hands are ready to work on finishing her!
      Working...
      X