X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Untitled WIP

Juniper
    18" Tall x 3" Wide x 12" round at the widest part

I don't have a name for her yet, her name will come to me as I'm carving...I hope. This is only a rough sketch but I think it gives me some direction. P1070315resize.jpg I have some wood in my stash for the base I think it's juniper too.

Kathy - Here is a link Claude posted related to Kachinas: (especially note the curved ones illustrated)

http://kachina.us

I know you are carving juniper rather than cottonwood root, but the info is good.

Phil
    Last edited by pallin; 12-02-2016, 06:42 PM. Reason: added comment

Comment

Thanks for this interesting post
      . . .JoeB

Comment

Originally posted by pallin View Post
        Kathy - Here is a link Claude posted related to Kachinas: (especially note the curved ones illustrated)

http://kachina.us

I know you are carving juniper rather than cottonwood root, but the info is good.

Phil
        Thank you Phil...I appreciate the link will check it out. I did a small leaning Kachina and used a small juniper nut for a bowl and painted the while thing. Have a nice weekend
        Kathy
        Last edited by Mottles; 12-02-2016, 08:19 PM.

Comment

joepaul Thank you, for looking....I probably should have drawn the image onto the juniper wood before uploading the image. I spent about an hour just getting the think bark off. The wood is pretty dry...thinking I might have to use my power carver for this one. Have a nice weekend.

Comment

If the juniper is like what we have around my home in Lake Isabella, CA (Southern Sierra Nevada) you will need a power carver! Good luck!

Comment

Ha, ha you might be right. Hubby said he would help me service my power carver tomorrow. It hasn't been used in a year so checking the oil on the shaft is a good idea. Our juniper wood here in NW Arizona usually is not to much of a struggle to carve with a knife. Not as nice as basswood of course.

Comment

Great concept Mottles. Keep us posted on the progress.

Tinwood

Comment

Good Start Kathy, Remember no GLOVES when POWER CARVING. Ha,Ha. Looking forward in seeing it finished. Merle

Comment

I'm looking forward to seeing this completed. Good eye for the wood and great project.
                    Terry

Comment

My first thought when I saw your post was "The Little Match Girl."
                      Arthur

Comment

Tinwood Thank you, I will keep you posted on my progress. I was hoping to get started on it today after hubby and I serviced my powercarver...didn't happen.

Merle You are so right will remember your warning. I see where some powercarvers wear leather gloves...I have to be so careful carving with tools as I'm on blood thinner for an AFIB a year ago.

Nomad Thank you, I need to do some drawing on the wood I have an idea how I want it to look whether I can pull it off in another story.

Arthur Clever thought

Comment

Update: She has a name 'Hopi Woman' So now she begins. The little nub on the right....I'm seeing either a baby or pot what ya think? Working now to get the shape I'm looking for...got my power carver all oiled and she purred didn't miss a humm,
                          My leather gardening gloves worked great to save fingers from the burr. Will up date after I make some more progress. P1070335resize.jpg
                          P1070336resize.jpg
                          Last edited by Mottles; 12-04-2016, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Oh WOW, I didn't realize the size of your wood. The nub, I can saw a cactus flower of some sort?
                            . . .JoeB

Comment

Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
                              Oh WOW, I didn't realize the size of your wood. The nub, I can saw a cactus flower of some sort?
                              Hey, joepaul that is a good suggestion I hadn't thought about a flower. Thank you

Comment

Working...
                              X