Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hooked on Carving
    replied
    Very beautiful and tedious work! Your butternut holds the detail well like the Linden wood on some German carvings I've seen.

Leave a comment:

• Currahee-twisted-sticks
    replied
    Originally posted by frankj View Post
    What a fascinating piece, very impressive. Obviously a lot of talent and time involved. Care to share how much time was involved?
    I have no idea really, I started working on it for almost a year now. But not constantly.

Leave a comment:

• JJF
    replied
    A great job

Leave a comment:

• carver33
    replied
    That, my friend is and excellent first!

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    You set the BAR High for yourself on your next Carvings. You definitely are a Very Talented Carver and this Piece shows it. Beautiful piece of ART. Merle

Leave a comment:

• frankj
    replied
    What a fascinating piece, very impressive. Obviously a lot of talent and time involved. Care to share how much time was involved?

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by MusicianOfTheNight View Post
    Amazing work! I assume the leaves on the trees are done with a Dremel, how did you achieve that texture?

Also how thick is the piece?
    Yes leaves done with Dremel. The texture of tree bark I assume you mean, I cut it with exacting knife first but it was too sharp of detail, so usein a roller ball type ink pen that didn't right any more I retraced some of the cuts with that also used Dremel on slow speed with a round Rock stone and did the same thing.

Leave a comment:

• MusicianOfTheNight
    replied
    Amazing work! I assume the leaves on the trees are done with a Dremel, how did you achieve that texture?

Also how thick is the piece?
    Last edited by MusicianOfTheNight; 01-15-2017, 05:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tinwood
    replied
    Gollllly!

Tinwood

Leave a comment:

• Donna_T
    replied
    What a great "first" of what I hope will be many of your relief carvings. Great detail.

Leave a comment:

• Dwight
    replied
    Wow, this is so cool. Great detail and very fine work.... well done.

Leave a comment:

• Arthur C.
    replied
    Excellent work! Very impressive. I agree with Pallin, the end grain will present a challenge to finish. His suggestion is a good one, but I would use a couple of light coats of spray poly.

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied

The final finish of this piece will present some problems. Since the front of this relief is end grain, it will absorb a lot of whatever you apply. This will tend to darken the surface - maybe more than you would like. I suggest that you apply a sealer - perhaps a thinned down version of the polyacrylic - and let it dry thoroughly to see what darkening occurs. It may absorb unevenly, so you may have to touch up areas that appear dull.

Leave a comment:

• Bob K.
    replied
    No. Butternut has a beautiful grain. I would just give it a clear (poly or lacquer) finish with a good coat of wax.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Bob K. View Post
    WOW! You really jumped into the pool head first! That was a massive undertaking for a first project, but I must say you did a masterful job! It's darn near flawless! The detail is beyond words! I hope you will show us some color photos once you have a finish on it!
    Thanks, I allways say if your gunna be a bear be a grizzly, lol I will post Picts when done, not going to add color

Leave a comment:

Working...
X