New Carver's Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Carver's Progress

A few weeks ago I posted about teaching a beginning woodcarver. We have now had 6 sessions of 3 hours each. I don'tl like to have someone sit and go through long periods of doing basic cuts. So, I had an old piece of basswood to try each new cut a few times and then we would apply it to a carving.

I had a square of half inch thick basswood. To help Jeannie with learning to handle tools (and not endanger the carving) I traced a pattern on it that I got from Joe Wannamaker in a class a few years ago. I then had her use the V tool and knife to cut the outline of the pattern. From there we went into the details of carving the Christmas Goose.

I saw no need to repeat the “rough out” procedure with the next carving; but, I wanted her to do something that she could finish and quickly experience the pride of having done a woodcarving. Christmas ornaments present the best possibility.

I used my scroll saw to do a basic blank of a Christmas outhouse a friend of mine had carved. I have carved several of these that were popular as gifts to friends. I believe the original pattern is by Gerald Sears.

Yesterday we painted the carvings with watercolor and sealed them with Krylon. The outhouse will receive a Christmas wreath that she will purchase and glue on the door.

Jeannie mentioned that she wanted to do a Celtic knot pattern. A relative of hers had found one and printed it for her. He is a woodcarver and I believe that it came from Susan Irish’s book. It seemed to go along with the Christmas outhouse so I drew it on a piece of bass wood and she started work on it.

I had a bandsawn blank of a dog (Scottie) which I just handed to her and she did a good job of carving it on her own. Her current dog (Maltese) objected and chewed the head off. She still wanted a Scottie and we are working on that.

I am very proud of the work that she is producing.

Re: New Carver's Progress

Looks like your student is well on her way. It's rewarding to teach someone that wants to learn, I think.

Comment

She is very lucky to have you help her get started. Looks like you are are good teacher.

Comment

I'd be proud too Paul. Looks like shes well grounded and having lots of fun too. And I know you're have just as much fun too. Thanks for sharing your students work, it's well done..Tom H
        http://beginnerscarvingcorner.blogspot.com/

Comment

Paul, you have a good student but her amazing progress reflects on you...
          You are a very good teacher. Way to go.
          susieq

Comment

Paul, congrats on your student's progress. The projects are very interesting, and obviously capturing her imagination. The knotwork looks very good.
            I may have to try one of those outhouses.
            Thor
            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Paul_Guraedy
              A few weeks ago I posted about teaching a beginning woodcarver. We have now had 6 sessions of 3 hours each. I don'tl like to have someone sit and go through long periods of doing basic cuts. So, I had an old piece of basswood to try each new cut a few times and then we would apply it to a carving.

I had a square of half inch thick basswood. To help Jeannie with learning to handle tools (and not endanger the carving) I traced a pattern on it that I got from Joe Wannamaker in a class a few years ago. I then had her use the V tool and knife to cut the outline of the pattern. From there we went into the details of carving the Christmas Goose.

I saw no need to repeat the “rough out” procedure with the next carving; but, I wanted her to do something that she could finish and quickly experience the pride of having done a woodcarving. Christmas ornaments present the best possibility.

I used my scroll saw to do a basic blank of a Christmas outhouse a friend of mine had carved. I have carved several of these that were popular as gifts to friends. I believe the original pattern is by Gerald Sears.

Yesterday we painted the carvings with watercolor and sealed them with Krylon. The outhouse will receive a Christmas wreath that she will purchase and glue on the door.

Jeannie mentioned that she wanted to do a Celtic knot pattern. A relative of hers had found one and printed it for her. He is a woodcarver and I believe that it came from Susan Irish’s book. It seemed to go along with the Christmas outhouse so I drew it on a piece of bass wood and she started work on it.

I had a bandsawn blank of a dog (Scottie) which I just handed to her and she did a good job of carving it on her own. Her current dog (Maltese) objected and chewed the head off. She still wanted a Scottie and we are working on that.

I am very proud of the work that she is producing.
              Paul you are doing a great job plus it shows in Jeannie's carvings also! Forrest

Comment

Paul and Jeannie, sounds and looks like your the kind of carving teacher we would all love to learn from. Jeannie, congratulations on your first carvings and agree with others your well on your way to a wonderful hobby. Nice painting of your carving too!
                Kathy

Comment

Working...
                X