parrot/eagle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• parrot/eagle

Here is my first bird wip, It's a hybrid parrot-eagle. As of yet I have not been able to verify or document such a creature but I have it on good authority that such birds exist. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it. I's almost ready to paint.arnie

Re: parrot/eagle

There is a variety of parrot that is a preditor. I forget the name of the bird but I believe it's Australian....and the name starts with a K, I think.... It hunts just like a big bird of prey. I am just getting ready to leave the office. I will try to look it up when I get home. But your carving looks like this bird.
    susieq

Comment

What ever it is, it's deffiniteoy for the birsds! Ha! Ha! Nice work no matter what it is!

Comment

the Kea Parrot is a predator the size of a crow
        Here is a link.

I was wrong about it being from Australia, it is from New Zealand and was hunted by sheep farmers until it recieved protection from the Government to avoid extinction. It attacks sheep, landing on their backs and ripping into them. It also eats carion..... I have always been rather fond of parrots but I don't think I want one of these...
        susieq

Comment

Arnie .. I dont what it is . but you did a good job carving him ..

Iam not a bird man .. but I like your finishing ..

Gene

Comment

Wow, I thought it was finished! Great job on the feather work. I looked at Susie's site and I have to agree....your bird sure looks like that Kia. Very nice job, Arnie.....Bonnie

Comment

Holy smokes, Susie I was trying to make a joke of my pitiful little eagle but he does look kinda like the kea, I musta had a vision in my sleep,lol Arnie seriously I would like to carve a good eagle any birders care to offer suggestions or point out my mistakes I would appreciate all comments

Comment

Now you can tell every one you carved a Kea or maybe it is a peagle. I carved a pawk (parrot/hawk) for my first bird LOL.

I like your bird. Looks like a great feathering job.

Comment

Arnie your eagle is wonderful. You did a great job on him. My early carvings were never that good.....

Did you buy a blank or make it yourself to start? I would encourage you to compile a lot of photographic material, then buy another blank or make your own and do it again. I think that with every piece you do, you will make amazing strides with your work and be so proud every time. It is so much fun to look back at the first piece after you have done several more, to see the difference in them.
                  susieq

Comment

Susieq, I loosely patterned it from an article in wci around iss. 30 I think. I made it bigger and changed a few things and band sawed it myself. I could use some suggestions on how to achieve a nice weathered silvery-grey look for the perch. My trials have yielded a sparkley look I don't like. Arnie

Comment

Magnificent! Great job on the feathers!

Comment

Arnie,
                        nice work on your bird, thanks for sharing with us. As for "weathering" his perch, perhaps you could experiment with "ebonising" this can be done by putting a piece of steel wool into a small comtainer of vinegar....applying the resultant solution to wood will turn the wood from a light grey to black...depending on how long you allow it to stand....Of course, try it out first on scraps of the same wood as your carving.....Hope this helps,
                        John in Australia

Comment

Thanks for the tip john I'll try the steel wool and vinegar,I've not heard of that technique,Arnie

Comment

Working...
                          X