Oak apple tree relief carving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oak apple tree relief carving

The following is my first try at a relief carving. Wouldn't you know it I would do it Oak! The pictures are in order, I hope. I started with a 3/4" x 6 ft Red Oak board and my pattern. Cut out apple and limb with leaves. Located and drilled for dowels to glue on apple. Glue setup. Apple glued on and ready to carve.
    Trying to submit other pics as I can.

Re: Oak apple tree relief carving

1. Shows start of plank carving, apple and its limb was curved on the 1" belt sander before glue up.
    2. View looking up at a finger relief in order to pull the drawer out after the carving has been added to the drawer.
    3. Close up after some apple/leaves have been carved
    4. Carving pretty much done except for slight touch up areas
    5. Another sideways view depth/hieght of carving

Comment

1. Another side view from the other side
      2. Shows 1/2 stain affects
      3. Board is stained and color highlights added on the leaves and apple. Oil color was used.
      4. Finished except for final oil paint drying and consequent satin polyurethane spray.

Comment

That is excellent! What a wonderful touch to that kitchen!
        Thanks for showing it to us.
        Thor
        Steve

Comment

i am amazed... this is wonderful... and, i was looking my morning, and saw only your first post, and now already finished, and that with oak... i cannot imagine how you did that, as i very recently gave up frsutrated an oak relief i wanted carve. i just couldnt cut this hard plank, my tools dull after a few cuts, and my arms hurt like mad... so, i really appreciate what you have done. and it turned out so beautiful, and fits so nicely into your kitchen :-)

Comment

Doris,
            I started the carving two weeks ago and took pictures as I worked over the week. I had trouble getting the pictures in the forum so it took me two days of trying. I made a sliding drawer this week with three shelves to fill the gap left over when we purchased a smaller stove.
            The wood is indeed hard but I'm looking to buying heavier duty mallet types in the future for work like this.

Thanks for your comments

Comment

but even just 2 weeks is amazingly quick... odd is, i have carved already a small bust from that plank, half year ago or so, and now wood seems to have become much harder.... anyway, i like the little fitting shelf. very practical use of so small space

Comment

Nice job xsailor!!! We have a small sliding cabinet just like that next to our stove too. Very handy. We keep all the spices in there. The carving is a really nice touch to the front of it. Cool idea.

Cheers!
                ChuckT

Comment

AWWWWWWWWWW MAN!! Thats so neat! Adds such nice details to that cabinet! GREAT JOB~~ Tn

Comment

Very nice job! That adds so much to the character of the kitchen.

Comment

Wow, nice carving, nice kitchen!! No fooling, that is a beautiful relief carving. Thanks for posting all of those pics. It's neat to see something from start to finish.

Comment

Such a great idea and so well executed! I know your wife must be proud of you! Beautiful job. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

The wife is REALLY appreciative. If I push it I may get a nice hot breakfast this fine sunday morning.
                          Thanks for the comments ya'll. It was fun to do as all carvings are. Can't wait to get started on something else. After carving this thou I called and ordered a hardwood carving set from Rick and wife. Oak is certainly hard my intermediate Pheils. I will need to get other larger heavy duty gouges in the future for sure.

Comment

Sounds like it turned out great Bob. What time is breakfast? Oh and how did the grizzlies work?

Comment

Hey Ron, couldn't wait for the breakfast so had my normal cold cereal. The little woman is being nice to me by letting me buy the Hardwood chisels from Rick. She sees more carving in the future me thinks.
                              I liked the Grizzlies but got talked out of them. I'll explain Tuesday.

Comment

Working...
                              X