Help Choose the Next Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Choose the Next Project

I invite other WCI members & guests to help choose my next relief project. I'm presently considering one of the two Escher designs below. The first is "Bond of Union," a lithograph from April 1956. I would not include the floating balls. The second is "Relativity" which Escher did as a woodcut and lithograph in July 1953. Which would you like to see in progress photos?

Union.jpgRelativity.jpg

I'd like the first...seems to me it's more of a departure from your previous work that I've seen. Both are challenging. By the way, I came across a photo of the Amalfi Coast a few days ago, and of course, I was reminded of your latest.
    Arthur

Comment

Hi Phil, You sure are a Man for punishment . Just looking at the ictures hurts my and Mind. Which ever one you decide to do will be interesting to watch. Merle

Comment

The second is "Relativity" , I think this one really fits you.
        . . .JoeB

Comment

I'll make the choice easy for you:

#1 is impossible. If you think otherwise, you'll just have to prove it to me.
          HonketyHank toot toot

Comment

The "Bond of Union" has no straight lines. I'd like to watch your approach to the depth values.
            Brian T

Comment

I like the first one.....I think it will need a lot more skill level which I believe you are highly experienced enough,.... to go for it. LIke Brian....I like to see your approach. Plus I believe you will enjoy the challenges more.

Comment

You sure are a glutton for punishment, Phil! If you must, go for the first one...it looks very interesting.
                Keep On Carvin'
                Bob K.

My Etsy page: https://www.etsy.com/shop/rwkwoodcarving

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/robert.kozakiewicz.9

My RWK Woodcarving Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rwkwood

My Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/rwkoz51/

Comment

Well, I guess I'll have to take you up on the challenge of "Bond of Union," the first of the designs. It appears to have the same challenges as "Stars," the Escher design below. The ribbons forming the heads have a forward part and a back part, and the background is beyond (or behind) those backside ribbons. As a relief, everything is foreshortened by the limited depth.

Now if you look at the "Stars" design, the complex geometric "cage" is like the ribbons, but with straight lines. There are corners of these nested octahedrons that set the levels of the relief, and the bars simply slope from one level to another. (I guess I shouldn't use the word "simply." Some of the backside bars are even visible through gaps in the structure like the backside ribbons in "Bond of Union."

The two designs are also similar in that Escher sprinkled various geometric shapes throughout "Stars" and various sizes of spheres in "Bond." I left out many of the small polygons in "Stars" and will probably omit the spheres when I carve "Bond of Union."
                  086.jpg
                  Last edited by pallin; 03-12-2017, 09:26 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

I like the spheres. They give the sense of space, light and floating. To me they really add to it. Maybe throw a few in...but its easy for me to say, I'm not carving it.
                    Greg

Comment

You can see why I don't go to horse races, never could pick the first place
                      . . .JoeB

Comment

Don't feel rejected Joe. I'll probably carve both of the designs eventually.

Comment

Not rejected at all, will be watching with much interest on the carving of your choice
                          . . .JoeB

Comment

Originally posted by GregGerard View Post
                            I like the spheres. They give the sense of space, light and floating. To me they really add to it. Maybe throw a few in...but its easy for me to say, I'm not carving it.
                            I'll consider your point. The spheres certainly would be easier to carve than the polyhedrons in "Stars."

Comment

Yesterday I ordered basswood from Heinecke for both of these projects. Next I will size the patterns for tracing onto the wood. I will start a new topic when I actually begin work on the relief.

Comment

Working...
                              X