Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carved Forging Community sign

Hello all,

The last time I was up north I taught a carving class at a high school. The shop teacher there runs a Forging Community in Duluth. In exchange for forged items, I am making/carving them a 3' by 4' sign. I have gotten quite a ways on it now and expect to have it done in a week or so. Here are some pictures.

Wow!... I hope you got a lot of iron work for your end of the bargin, ...'cause that's a lot of carving in that project.
    keep us posted with more progress pictures
    Wayne
    If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

Wow! That looks like quite a project with a lot of very precise work involved! It should look amazing when finished...I hope you will post more pics!
      Keep On Carvin'
      Bob K.

My Etsy page: https://www.etsy.com/shop/rwkwoodcarving

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/robert.kozakiewicz.9

My RWK Woodcarving Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rwkwood

My Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/rwkoz51/

Comment

Thanks. Quite a project.
        Your process pictures are excellent = enough to inspire and encourage others to try the techniques.
        Brian T

Comment

Another ambitious and interesting project. I notice a few places near the corners where you don't continue the "over & under" pattern. Is this intentional?

Comment

Clayton, if you keep practising you'ar going to get the Celtic weave down . This is going to be the most impressive sign
            . . .JoeB

Comment

Clayton
              Amazing sign. Who is the instructor in Duluth? I spent the better part of 20 years there. Might know him
              Bob

Comment

Big project there, Clayton! Thanks for the step by step, that's always interesting. It will be beauty. I take it you bandsawed the lettering?
                Arthur

Comment

really nice project
                  www. woodcarvingsbyeric.com

Comment

Wow, a lot to reply to now. Thanks for all of your compliments, and I will post more pictures.

Pallin, yes, the design is intentional. I left the braid type pattern at the corner so that I could more easily turn the corner, and then once around it I didn't have a lot of room left for it to go back to a braid.

Bob: His name is Paul Webster. He used to do a lot of chimney sweeping and building, but got out of it due to the obvious dangers. Now he teaches shop class at Cromwell High School, which is just west of Duluth a ways, and only about 30 minutes from where I grew up. (Wrenshall)

Arthur: yes all of the letters are cut out with a bandsaw.

Here are a couple more that I took yesterday. All of the over-under business is done.

Comment

Wow Clayton, it looks like you've treated yourself to some new Pfeil gouges! Or, do you keep them in their plastic sleeves?

The project is looking very good!

Comment

Nice work.

Comment

Thank you! Yes I keep the gouges in the sleeves, since I don't have a rack for the bigger ones.

Clayton

Comment

Nicely done Clayton.
                            Randy

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

Comment

WOW, that is going to be so nice, wonderful carving workmanship

Comment

Working...
                              X