Thank you, JJF

Leave a comment:

• JJF
    replied
    NIce Kathy

Leave a comment:

• Mottles
    replied
    Hi Tom-H, thank you my learned carving skills are coming back.

Leave a comment:

• Tom-H
    replied
    That's a nice one! You got it all going on there, good knife work and gouges. I like it....

Leave a comment:

• Mottles
    replied
    Hi Joe, thank you....no I didn't make the holder I bought several at Michaels. They also had some with a taller profile (hope they still have them) which I'll need for my next carving.

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    Kathy, Yes Siree your mountain man elf turned out superb! Did you also make the holder? really show your carving off.

Leave a comment:

• Mottles
    replied
    Originally posted by Nomad View Post
    Nice! I really like his expression. He looks slightly amused.
    Yes, he does look slightly amused and thank you glad you thought he was nice.

Leave a comment:

• Nomad
    replied
    Nice! I really like his expression. He looks slightly amused.

Leave a comment:

• Mottles
    replied
    'Mountain Man Elf' side view Mountain Man Elf Side 2017.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Mottles
    replied
    'Mountain Man Elf' is all done....my first carved elf since 2010 sure felt rusty though. Elves are a fun carve and can be challenging I don't think this is my best work.
    I'm always interested to know what finishes everyone uses on their carvings in basswood. For my elves and mountain men the following is my technique learned from Mark Gargac.

(1.) Beginning with a brushed on application of Boiled Linseed oil, wiping excess oil off the carving. Let dry for about 1/2 hour.
    (2.) Then Spray with clear lacquer and let dry 24 hours
    (3.) When lacquer is dry use a 0000 white steel wool pad on the carving to knock off any ruff spots
    (4.) Mix up half and half Watco Natural and Walnut Medium or Dark and brush onto the carving. I used Natural and Walnut Medium for this carving.
    (5.) Buff and your done.
    The bling is the last thing to add to your carving. Mountain-Man-Elf-2017-Front.jpg
    Last edited by Mottles; 05-03-2017, 06:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mottles
    replied
    Originally posted by Steev View Post
    I like the effect of the wood burning for the eyes. Did you just leave a little dot not burned for the highlight? I could use this for something I'm planning.
    Hi Steve, thank you I like the effect I get from wood burning the eyes as oppose to using paint. As for the highlight in the eyes I use a craft paint color called 'butternut' (cream would work too). Using pure white is a little to bright. I don't use the color of the wood for a highlight for eyes.

Leave a comment:

• Mottles
    replied
    Hi Joepaul, thank you I don't plan to paint this one. I have only painted one elf and wasn't happy with my effort. I've given him a bath in BLO and he's drying. The plan is to make a stain using half and half Watco natural and medium.

Leave a comment:

• Steev
    replied
    I like the effect of the wood burning for the eyes. Did you just leave a little dot not burned for the highlight? I could use this for something I'm planning.

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    Kathy, this really came out great! Can just imagine what it will be painted

Leave a comment:

• Mottles
    replied
    Ready for the finishing....I have really felt rusty carving this elf it's been a long time, but it's beginning to come back. The eyes are wood burned. The hole in the right ear is for an earring.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X