• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eddy-Smiles
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Ladybug! Ladybug! Fly away home.

I was out looking a my wife's flowers not long ago and noticed that one of her plants was covered with patches of what looked like yellow crust and swarming all over the plants, and obviously feasting on this yellow stuff were all kinds of lady bugs. That gave me a brain fart and I came up with the idea to carve a ladybug or two. These little ladybugs are carved from basswood hens eggs. The bottom 1/4 of the egg was removed prior to carving to get them to size. The antenna are made from small pieces of brown leather lace and mini wood beads. Now that they've been photographed and posted I have to return them to my wife so that she can make up her mind which one she wants. I've already been put on notice that she gets first choice. Oh! By the way, I attached two round magnets to them and they look mighty fine on the refrigerator.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.
  • Brian T
    • Jan 2011

Those are really nice. Good thing my partner isn't seeing these. I might have to crib that idea.
    The color and the spot pattern are different for every species (60+), like a fingerprint.
    Some beetle-freak is bound to come along and say: "Oh! That's a such-and-such Ladybird beetle" Relax doc, it's a Ladybug.

Give you credit = not a true "bug" so it's one word. Like Dragonfly and Butterfly = not really flies.

Fridge magnets: can these hold up a paper grocery list on the fridge? I can't find strong enough magnets to do that. Glue the magnets in with CA?
    Brian T

Comment

• ada504fha
      Ada in Seattle, WA
      • Mar 2017

Such cuties! Great job on these - and smart to let the wife have first dibs.

Comment

• joepaulbutler
        • Jan 2009

A clever use of eggs & well done
        . . .JoeB

Comment

• scotia carver
          Scotia Carver
          • Sep 2013

Nice work Eddy, its always nice to give our wives first choice
          Bruce

Comment

• Soggy
            Nova Scotia Canada
            • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post

Fridge magnets: can these hold up a paper grocery list on the fridge? I can't find strong enough magnets to do that. Glue the magnets in with CA?
            Great idea Eddy! ....as Robson said " I might have to crib that idea "
            Robson Valley. Lee Valley has some terrific magnets; the 1/2" ones will almost tear the door off your refrigerator . I fasten them in with 5 minute epoxy from the Dollar Store , ........haven't had one let go yet.
            Wayne

If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

• Randy
              • Nov 2016

I may have to do some for my wife. She loves lady bugs. Nicly done Eddy!
              We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
              https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

• uvawyo
                Senior Member Glendo, Wyo
                • Dec 2008

Super, Eddy!
                Herb

Comment

• Eddy-Smiles
                  Super Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
                  Those are really nice. Good thing my partner isn't seeing these. I might have to crib that idea.
                  The color and the spot pattern are different for every species (60+), like a fingerprint.
                  Some beetle-freak is bound to come along and say: "Oh! That's a such-and-such Ladybird beetle" Relax doc, it's a Ladybug.

Give you credit = not a true "bug" so it's one word. Like Dragonfly and Butterfly = not really flies.

I get my magnets at Michaels Craft Store using a 50% off coupon. They're made in the U.S.A. fabricated by ProMagProducts.Com of Marietta, Ohio. The magnets are round and 19mm in diameter. And yes they will hold up a grocery list as long as the paper stock isn't too thick. As for adhering them on to the Ladybugs. I just use hot glue. It's quick and it's easy. If the glue is hot enough when applied and encircles the entire perimeter of the magnet when pressed against the bottom of the Ladybug, it's not going to come off for a long, long, time.

Comment

• Eddy-Smiles
                    Super Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by scotia carver View Post
                    Nice work Eddy, its always nice to give our wives first choice
                    Bruce
                    The upside to offering first choice to the wife is that it makes her happy. The down side to offering first choice to the wife is that she can't make up her mind which one she likes more so she grabs both of them to put on her refrigerator which makes her even more happy!

Comment

• Arthur C.
                      Senior Member Louisiana
                      • Oct 2012

Great idea, Eddy! Nicely done. I, too, will likely wipe your idea.
                      Arthur

Comment

• Nomad
                        Super Moderator Michigan
                        • May 2009

I love 'em. One of my favorite beetles.
                        Terry

Comment

• Merle Rice
                          • Feb 2006

Hi Eddy, Great innovation , that's using your Ole Kidney . Ha,Ha. They are Cute as a Bugs Ear. Painting is right on. Needless to say I like them. Merle

Comment

• DLarabee
                            • Apr 2017

Very cute. Wish my partner got as excited about my creations as yours does. I would requests first dibs as well.

Comment

• DLarabee
                              • Apr 2017

Just tossing out a not about the "magnet" question that was asked above. If you want a REALLY strong magnet, go to a computer recycler and look for hard drive magnets. These are incredibly powerful, and often MORE powerful than people expect.

You can usually get them already stripped at the right recycler, or you can disassemble the drive yourself. It's a bit challenging, but very fun. There are a lot of other very interesting metal pieces inside that are great for unique crafts.

I think most people have one or two old drives sitting in a closet somewhere anyway, or maybe that's just my circle of computer geeks. :-) Have fun!

Comment

Working...
                              X