No announcement yet.

New ship model carving began

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With summer being here you can never tell what I'll turn to out in the garage/shop. Again thanks
    . . .JoeB

Comment

Got steam up and began bending planks today. I sure need some practice, but the Swiss Pear planks bend well and hold their shape, so I am pleased. Have some work to do on fitting the planks that are steamed, but that is just practice. Onward and upward!

Bob
      Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Hi Bob
        That looks like a high tech steamer, how long do you keep the planks in the steam chamber. I worked for a wood pressure treating company for a few years, we steamed a lot of poles in cold weather so they would take the preservative under pressure.
        Bruce

Comment

Bruce, the planks stay in for 15 - 20 min. and when they come out they are very bendable and soaking wet. So they have to be bent into shape and held there till dry enough to attach to the hull, nails and glue. You can't glue them while wet as the glue wouldn't hold. I use copper nails and predrill the holes in the plank. A very slow process, but speed is not necessary to do a good job.

Bob
          Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

"predrill and copper nails" What kind of eyesight do you have? How do you hold on to the nails?
            . . .JoeB

Comment

You do need good eyesight for this JoeB and fingers that can pick up nails only hair thick. I do use forceps at times, as you will see. Making progress today, slow but sure. Steamed and bent a couple more planks and began installing the thinner layer above the main wale. They bend easier and shouldn't need to be steamed, only 3/32" thick x 1/4" wide, to scale.

Bob
              Last edited by squbrigg; 06-18-2017, 11:49 PM.

Comment

I'm still amazed
                . . .JoeB

Comment

Spent the day going back and forth to the shipyard, cut, fit and install planks, wait till glue dries, then back to the bench and cut, fit and glue some more. Worked on a couple of planks at the stern, steaming and fitting, dry, maintain the bend, then install. Cut and drilled some more temporary plank clamps, never enough of those, so I can work above and below the main wale at the same time. Waiting for glue to dry is always a hassle. I do love planking a hull, brings great satisfaction and not a small bit of ingenuity.

Comment

Another day of cutting and shaping and installing planks. She is beginning to look like a ship should. Also took some time to cut up a board ( 1" thick x 10" wide x 48" long) into plank size, Swiss Pear, on my big band saw, and will have to plane them some for final cutting. Swiss Pear is a beautiful wood to work, very hard but holds detail well and has such a beautiful colour when oiled finish.

Bob

Comment

Is it a jinx to wonder how much more time you will need to finish this beauty?
                      . . .JoeB

Comment

Not a jinx at all Joe. It will take as long as it takes. Sorry I can't be more specific, but that's how it works. It will all depend on how much detail I put into her. For example, I have 6 years work into a model of HMS SHANNON (38) and I'm still not finished. This model is a smaller scale, 1:96 as compared to 1:48, so is more difficult to do, and takes longer.

Bob

Comment

There is no doubt about it, you're got this craft mastered, if not close to it. I don't if my attention span would allow me to do something this intense. I like doing new and different things.
                          . . .JoeB

Comment

Another day at the shipyard, cutting and shaping planks and installing them. Spent a lot of time last evening cutting up a Pear board on the big bandsaw and then cutting the strips into smaller strips/planks for the model. Do some, take a break, do some more and another break. Then on to the sander/planer, to smooth the planks for use in the ship. Made a lot of sawdust and some nice looking planks. This is a labour consuming project, you can't rush it.

Comment

Impresive work squbrigg. Doing a modle scaled and detaild reproduction of a friget requires some talented hands.
                              Randy

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

Comment

Another day and a little more progress in the shipyard. Getting the bow section almost complete in the planking. Lots more yet to plank, just takes time. I think of how the original ship was built and can understand why it took so long to build, but what a marvel of engineering, using just simple woods and methods.

Comment

Working...
                                X