No announcement yet.

New ship model carving began

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bob I haven't posted much but I have been following along closely. You are amazing! I am looking forward to seeing more as you make progress. It is very encouraging for me to see your posts. Thank you for sharing your work and your passion with us.

Bob L

Comment

Installed the final planks in the hull today and also installed the waste rail, these fit between the lower gun ports, and I made them from Ebony. There will be another rail above that, called the sheer rail, and it will also be done in Ebony. Also will begin to construct the quarter gallery on the stern quarter and the stern and taffrail. Plenty to do yet.
      Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Now for the top part
        Looking great so far
        . . .JoeB

Comment

Today in the shipyard we got the sheer rail and the channels installed. The rail is in Ebony and the channels are in Pear. The channels spread the shrouds apart farther, to provide stability to them, enabling them to hold up the masts straight. Also, I drew out the quarter gallery working sketches and cut out the layers in the various thickness woods (Pear) to begin the process of building the gallery up. The quarter gallery is in fact, the captains bathroom! He even will have windows to enjoy the view while he is ... er .... concentrating on the business at hand. The various layers are numbered and each will be carved into shape, before assembly, then the windows constructed once the frame is installed. The sketch in one of the pictures shows the outline. Fun, fun, fun.

Bob
          Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

I would love to see this actual carving.and what a privilege it would be to own it!

Comment

Cottonwood, you are welcome to come and visit, and even make an offer on the finished model. I always welcome fellow carvers to the shop and interested ship/carving enthusiasts.

Today in the shipyard was a fun day, I got into building the quarter gallery. I recut some of the pieces, in Ebony, to give the gallery a more vibrant look, contrasting woods. I shaped carved the parts and assembled the upper part and the lower part, will have to get busy constructing the windows. Made the steps for mounting the side of the ship when at sea, 9 steps, made them from Mahogany, again for contrast. Painted the main wale today and I'm very happy with the effect. Will begin work on the stern after the quarter gallery windows are in. More windows in the stern, some very fine work to do there. Also some carvings to do for the quarter galleries and the stern. Wait and see! Hope you are enjoying the process as much as I am.

Bob
              Last edited by squbrigg; 08-03-2017, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Did some "fine" carving on the decorations on the quarter gallery, in Boxwood, mounting them on the Ebony giving them a nice contrast. Coppered the roof of the quarter gallery as well, just so if it rains, the captain will stay dry.

Comment

After a quiet week, I finally got back to work in the shipyard. Began work on the stern and installing the quarter gallery. Also made and installed a couple of skids on the outside of the hull and made the basic cathead, not installed yet, but in place. These small additions make the hull look like a frigate should. Again, on the stern and tafrail, I'll be using Pear Wood and Ebony, with the carved parts in Boxwood. Makes for a nice contrast.

Bob

Comment

This is going to be a magnificent ship
                    . . .JoeB

Comment

Continued to work on the stern and taffrail today. Looking good, interior done, have carved work on the exterior to do and windows. Delicate stuff those. Fun though.

Bob

Comment

Well, Bob, very interesting...beautiful work. You know, in reading your posts on this ship building, I realized we have something in common: While carving a difficult piece, when I lose patience I, too, have been known to utter the word "frigate."
                        Arthur

Comment

Working...
                        X