No announcement yet.

New ship model carving began

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draughts are what they called the original "blueprints" of the vessel they proposed to build, or scaled drawings. These were often revised to read, "as built" for specific vessels. The proposed draughts were for a class of vessel, ie: the Leda class, and then revised draughts would be done for "as built" draughts.

Each draught would include: a body plan, a half breadth plan, and a sheer plan. They would give the three dimension drawings: side view, end view and top view. They would be of the same scale and include details such as framing, beams and planking details, positions of deck details (hatches, masts, and ladders) and position of gun ports, rails and some decorative details. The end view would give the shape of the hull as if the hull were cut like slices in a loaf of bread, and could include the shape of the stern/transom , etc. The Top view would also show the hull shape at various depths of water like a bread loaf sliced length wise, and show deck detail.

I'll attach a copy of an original draught so you can see what I'm talking about.

There are also more detailed draughts for each vessel, which show the building details, framing, beams, planks, and all the details below decks. Maritime museums carry the originals, or national archives, depending on the country of origin, and are usually available for a copy fee. Some books have been published with these details available commercially, and also some companies have developed copies of original draughts recopied for commercial sale, ie: Ancre in France, for French vessels. There is a wealth of information available if you know where to look. I have spent a life time studying ships of this period,(1740 - 1885) and have a growing library of books and draughts and plans. It is quite a subject.

Bob
    Last edited by squbrigg; 09-13-2017, 02:58 PM.
    Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

• Thank you Bob! The good old days when draughting (drafting) was draughting (drafting). Boy I miss doing it all by hand using pencil and pen and ink. These days I'm stuck chained to a computer. I'm working on a project now that is very similar to one I did back in the late 1980's. Then, 1 engineer, 7 draftsmen. Today, 7 engineers, 1 computer aided drafting technician. And no, I'm not getting 7 paychecks. Wish I was.

Bob L

Comment

• Thanks, Bob, I was assuming that what you were saying, but you know what they say about assure
        . . .JoeB

Comment

Working...
        X