Angel Wing Girl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angel Wing Girl

Here is a new project that I am going to be working on. I want everyone to follow along with me and offer suggestions as you see fit. Here you see the design glued to the block (2" x 7.5" x 10.5" ) that is cut to the general shape of the carving. I am planning on a deep relief that will be flat on the back so that it may be hung on a wall. The wood is Southern Bass Wood and I expect it to be a little harder than the Northern variety. 005.JPG006.JPG
    Last edited by Cottonwood; 05-27-2017, 01:23 PM.

[QUOTE=Cottonwood;n1111745]. I want everyone to follow along with me and offer suggestions as you see fit./QUOTE]

Looks like it's going to be incrediable..........suggestions?....When it's finished send it up here to me...lol
    Soggy
    If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

Will be following with much interest
      . . .JoeB

Comment

That's an interesting pattern, Cottonwood, It looks like the deepest part of the relief will be near her chin. You should aim for a maximum relief about one half of the total thickness (1"). Rather than leave the back flat, I recommend that you strongly undercut the edges of the wings - and especially at the tips - leaving only enough flat area so that the carving is stable on the wall. Otherwise, the thick edges will make it appear heavy - angels are light! For mounting on the wall, carve a recess to accept the nail or screw so that the flat part of the back is truly flush with the wall.

Comment

I'll be following along too. Really like this pattern.

Comment

Looks like a great project. I look forward to following your progress.

Comment

This looks like a real challenge... I will be watching with great interest. I would have to agree with Pallin, undercut the wings to give a lighter appearance to the overall carving.
              ~ Dwight
              "Hello, I am the Friggin' Happiness Fairy and I just sprinkled happy dust on you, so smile damit' this crap is expensive."

Comment

Whiz, zing, whiz, zing
                Whiz, Zing, whiz, Zing
                (Well don't you know)
                That's the sound of sharp tools
                Lowering the background.

(To be sung to the tune of "Workin' on the Chain Gang)

The wings will be undercut.........(grin).
                Last edited by Cottonwood; 05-27-2017, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Background hollow of Angel Wings partly lowered. High spots of the figure marked
                  Angel Wings Girl 003.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by Cottonwood View Post
                    Background hollow of Angel Wings partly lowered. High spots of the figure marked
                    Angel Wings Girl 003.JPG
                    This piece is stunning. Is this your own design? Its so well planned.
                    I notice the same type of carving in the background. Is that another carving of the same thing or is it a picture that you are following? I can not tell from the photo

Comment

Spiritwolfe, it is a picture that I found on the net that I thought would make a good wood carving. I hope it turns out well.

Comment

Hi Millard, you found a Great Project to do. Should be an interesting Project for you . Knowing how you Carve I feel it will be a Great piece. Merle

Comment

A challenging project - best of luck.

Comment

I have no suggestions to offer...it's looking excellent so far! Keep us posted with the WIP photos!
                            Keep On Carvin'
                            Bob K.

My Etsy page: https://www.etsy.com/shop/rwkwoodcarving

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/robert.kozakiewicz.9

My RWK Woodcarving Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rwkwood

My Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/rwkoz51/

Comment

Originally posted by Cottonwood View Post
                              Here is a new project that I am going to be working on. I want everyone to follow along with me ]
                              How could one not follow...thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X