Davy Jones chest/Navy retirement gift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Davy Jones chest/Navy retirement gift

Ok ....people are asking where in the heck I been....smile. Di busted two ribs, and sprain an ankle and wrist.....and as always I am lazy getting out photos.....all nothing new. Anyway... so here is the latest carving in the making. It is still in the total creative stages ....do I know what it going to look like finished??.....I have zero idea. We are just doing it. I do pretty good at wing it....if it does not work I will throw it in the trash can and start over. When I told people in islands what I am doing.....they say no way! It will be a Navy chief officers retirement gift.....Davy Jones locker treasure chest,....that looks like it came out of the ocean....inside the metal and ribbons and memories. So the treasure chest is made. and the inserts of two cabinets to hold metals, ribbons, and such.....are put in top parts of the chest...with glass sliding out. Most of metal is rusty and put on. On this chest will be attachments of coral, and sea animals, and etc.....and then I got to age it and make it look like it been sitting on the bottom. So we are in the makings of chaos and creation. Gift giver....also a Navy officer wanted this to look like a Davy Jones Locker sort of with a Navy twist. I got a year to make this commission. Because this is a Disney movie....I have to create my own image.....of the treasure chest as I can not reproduce anything from their chest....hoping mine looks better....Ha! Ha! As people find out unless you want not to be sitting in court with Disney...you leave creations alone.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    Last edited by DiLeon; 06-12-2017, 04:05 PM.
    . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

On the back.....(doing the back first so I can get in the groove of this treasure chest idea)..... I am going to engrave into the chest..... UNITED STATES NAVY on the top ....and on the bottom engrave
    WE OWN THE SEAS .....DAVY JONES OWNS THE REST..... Then I am starting a thin relief of the anchor, skull, and hat attachment which you can see against the drawing. This will be put in the middle of the words. It is basswood and I am enjoying the easy carving of using a knife right now. I can make the basswood look old and perhaps metal when I am finished carving it? The octopus is koa wood will be attachment on the chest. Meanwhile I am hitting the beach for driftwood that I will make to look like coral. The rest of attachments are in the creative what ever stages...LOL
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    Last edited by DiLeon; 06-12-2017, 04:00 PM.

Comment

The best "period" handles will be "chest beckets." Complicated constructions. I had the chance to learn how to make them but my tutor died.
      Many internet images of chest beckets include a lot of the "treasure chests" so you might find some ideas there.
      It looks quite big. True?
      Brian T

Comment

Wow, Di, that is going to be an amazing looking piece! Glad to see you're back at it again!
        Keep On Carvin'
        Bob K.

My Woodcarving blog: https://www.woodchipchatter.com

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/robert.kozakiewicz.9

My RWK Woodcarving Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rwkwood

My Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/rwkoz51/

Comment

Hi Di; Sorry to hear about your ribs, ankle and wrist. Looks like you've taken on quite a challenge, but I'm sure you will do a great job and enjoy doing it as well.
          Keep us posted as you proceed
          Wayne
          If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

Great looking project and for a great client. A Chief Petty officer has certainly earned his retirement, it takes a lot of years to earn that rank and I'm sure he has plenty of stories to tell about his service. Thank him as well, for his service to his country. While it is not my own, I appreciate those who put service to their country above themselves. Well done.

Bob
            Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
              The best "period" handles will be "chest beckets." Complicated constructions. I had the chance to learn how to make them but my tutor died.
              Many internet images of chest beckets include a lot of the "treasure chests" so you might find some ideas there.
              It looks quite big. True?
              Wow those becket would be idea.....but I wondering about the skill level to learn how to do it. Looking at some of the really old beckets....they may be easier to carve to look like the real thing rather then make the real deal???? just a thought to ponder. The chest is consider small in size.....as the large are your floor models with lots of storage room, the medium would be about half that size and this is a small floor chest with very limited room. I really did not want to do a large one as it would be impossible to transport it.....as I noted to person getting it....my work is fragile and easy to break. So lets keep size down....as this is the trouble with the sea turtle I made, because it is so large and fragile it is really hard to transport him to new locations.

Comment

Originally posted by Soggy View Post
                Hi Di; Sorry to hear about your ribs, ankle and wrist. Looks like you've taken on quite a challenge, but I'm sure you will do a great job and enjoy doing it as well.
                Keep us posted as you proceed
                Wayne
                I have been major issues about falling down .....they say it is the Fibromyalgia which effects balance. It has gotten so I just say "OK we busted ourselves up again!".......something I have to deal with ....but it is all almost healed so I just I have to be careful not to re injury the areas. As you can see I am not using the wheel chair......smile.

Yes this project is another challenge, but I will enjoy the process of it all. Customer wants barnacles on the chest....and my neighbor the master craftsman reply....
                that is just insane to carve....are you going to do it?
                My reply...... we will see.....I have no idea at this point.

Comment

Great project Di, can't wait to see the final product!
                  Steve Reed - Carvin' in the flatlands!

Comment

Originally posted by squbrigg View Post
                    Great looking project and for a great client. A Chief Petty officer has certainly earned his retirement, it takes a lot of years to earn that rank and I'm sure he has plenty of stories to tell about his service. Thank him as well, for his service to his country. While it is not my own, I appreciate those who put service to their country above themselves. Well done.

Bob
                    I feel the same way......super appreciate those who are in the service and what they do for our country. One of those projects that will be a joy to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Reed View Post
                      Great project Di, can't wait to see the final product!
                      Hey Steve! great to see you, still wanting to do santas again....some day....wishful thinking anyway.

Comment

If the rest looks as good as the octopus, it is going to be a fantastic retirement gift.

Take care of yourself, Tom
                        If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Dear Di: Ask around for career ex-navy people. They, in turn, should know some ex-merchant marine people.
                          The MM people were the ones who perfected the decorations like chest beckets (are they not wonderful or what?)

This is a retirment gift for someone who has given so much in service to freedom and democracy.
                          You should have no trouble finding people to collaborate with in the finish.
                          Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by Dileon View Post

Wow those becket would be idea.....but I wondering about the skill level to learn how to do it. Looking at some of the really old beckets....they may be easier to carve to look like the real thing rather then make the real deal???? just a thought to ponder. The chest is consider small in size.....as the large are your floor models with lots of storage room, the medium would be about half that size and this is a small floor chest with very limited room. I really did not want to do a large one as it would be impossible to transport it.....as I noted to person getting it....my work is fragile and easy to break. So lets keep size down....as this is the trouble with the sea turtle I made, because it is so large and fragile it is really hard to transport him to new locations.
                            frayedknotarts.com/tutorials/makebecket.html FYI, thought this might be of interest

. . .JoeB

Comment

Ok it been about two months since I last posted it was because of the research and ditching alot of ideas and making new plans. Since I have about eight more months to finish this ....I can afford the time to really think in depth about this project. The first problem was the back of the chest is starting to get formed but the plan to put scary looking things on it....was starting to give me the creeps. This theme has tons to do with the men who lost at sea.... which has happen with the black hawk that went down near the Big Island Hawaii....and of coarse the Navy ship who lost their lives. What I do not want is a chest that gives people the hair stand up on end and goosebumps stories. That got me down to the whole myth and solutions ..... Some people said that was the point of the whole davy jones theme was to give fear.....but it is me???? but I would not have a chest in my home that has such negative symbols. So I wanted the theme but tame it down to a more respectable theme. Which has lead to me to sitting down research and drawing things out which is not a norm with me....but I do note when I take time to draw it out, it always looks better. Issues about how hard to carve koa wood is....it was recommend to me to use Cuban Mahogany which is noted to be outstanding wood to tool and carve unlike koa.....which I just went and picked up wood. Here is drawing of octopus that was trashed for celtic knot to tone down the theme. All things on the chest have the symbols of Navy, plus that of old symbols of sailors.
                              This gallery has 1 photos.
                              Last edited by DiLeon; 08-25-2017, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X