No announcement yet.

Davy Jones chest/Navy retirement gift

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The back to chest has the Davy Jones Navy theme....the front has the figure of the Head Of Calypso's beauty and power, all sailors were in awe. Her womanliness was unsurpassed in grace and bearing. As with all beings of great might, having dominion over the seas, calming troubled waters She was the protector of all sailors, and it was she who sent forth the Dutchman to rescue souls lost at sea. My Calypso will not be a fear item like Disney used her for. So I decide to do a scale drawing for just the chest......this does not show 3 D attachments of various sea animal and etc. The anchor, sea horse and celtic knots are applique, Calyso is relief. And if coarse this is what I call not exact as things will be added, subtracted and improved as I go. I will be doing drawing as you see on another page, in order to get the face that I want. Another reason to tone down the theme was that fact that Davy Jones was feared and some what like a demon, the sea animals would not be on the chest.....so another reason to add Calypso to the front of chest. I did have people who have visited say they love the back and it should be the front but I do not think so....the chest will be totally 3 D to be walked around if wished. Also noted anyones ideas are deeply considered....and thought about ...the more the better.

Comment

This is a drawing of the back, again no attachment are on this.....this is just the chest with the applique.....on this the letters are engraved in the chest and hard to see.....I sort of drawn a shade of deeper stain to make the small letters pop. Someone suggested to use gold leaf .....anyone has any ideas on making these letters pop let me know. The engraving is done and it is one thing I can not change...so I have to deal with what is one this one. The relief of the skull is made of bass wood....and has people in awe. One old Navy guy remarked this chest will have the whole Navy talking about it....smile. I hope so...we will see. One thing this has to have barnacles on it....and aged to look like came out of the sea....it will be interesting to see what it will end up looking like?

Comment

Meanwhile I am carving barnacles, starfish, baby sea turtle, octopus and ect to put on the chest after the appliques. I will not post photos until I start attaching them. Plus also carving, sanding the appliques and relief works....plus fretting about the old sea under water finish. I am also consider making a whole skull that will be chewing on gold pieces made of gold leave that will sit outside the chest...but this project and its direction will change as I find out what works and what does not. Someone noted that I had to make the treasure chest look bad enough people will not open it....LOL so who knows???

Comment

This is going to be a great chest
          . . .JoeB

Comment

WOW! You really enjoy doing Great Works that would be impossible for most of us to
            even attempt to do! Speaking about falling, I did the same thing over three months ago!
            I was using a high power portable blower, I turned right, immediately took a 'drunk like'
            fall to my right! When I got up I felt like I was really drunk and dizzy, so far I get these
            spinning feelings, three to four times a day! No I wasn't drinking any booze! The VA
            Hospital Doctors have tried everything they can think of since my fall and still haven't
            discovered the cause! Seems like my Marine Corps. and Navy drinking days are coming
            back to haunt me!
            Oscar

Comment

Oscar, what about fluid on your ear drums, gave me fits for a while
              . . .JoeB

Comment

Oscar might have had an episode of benign vertigo. The particles in the ear, the balancing mechanism, go haywire.
                It's almost enough to make me puke. Can't even see straight. One time it started, I wasn't doing anything but eating a piece of toast
                for breakfast. Not like dizzy at all, just loopy-loopy swaying.

Di
                Came close to making 2 simple versions of these as toy chests for my twin grandsons.
                You need to find somebody who can make the "chest beckets", the hand-made handles.
                Very old school, days of the pirates kind of fittings.

Comment

That is very cool

Comment

Really neat!

Comment

Di, this is a wonderful project! Please post pics when done!
                      Steve Reed - Carvin' in the flatlands!
                      My etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/Widdlenspit
                      My fb page: https://www.facebook.com/stephen.ree...8.100000156660 683&type=3

Comment

Wow I did not see all these replies.....thanks everyone!...... It really boosted my spirits major. I am working on this right now.... My bandsaw keeps breaking blades, and I am really upset about that one....as yet to find the cause. Darn blades are expensive.....and I do not have money right now. This chest is really major work.....although keep on, keep on. Right now I dragged the scroll saw out for cut work....that darn thing like to bang the wood the wood against the bench... and I have a very hard time holding that darn wood down so it will not do that.....as my fingers are really damaged from the OA. And the only way to start the scroll saw is to bang the top with my fist....that thing is really old! ...right now feel like throwing the bandsaw out in the highway.....but that is no good...darn thing weighs 800 pounds and I can not move it.... LOL .... It is a bad hair day....things do not always go as plan.

Comment

[QUOTE=Robson Valley;n1117718]Oscar might have had an episode of benign vertigo. The particles in the ear, the balancing mechanism, go haywire.
                          It's almost enough to make me puke. Can't even see straight. One time it started, I wasn't doing anything but eating a piece of toast
                          for breakfast. Not like dizzy at all, just loopy-loopy swaying.

Di
                          Came close to making 2 simple versions of these as toy chests for my twin grandsons.
                          You need to find somebody who can make the "chest beckets", the hand-made handles.
                          Very old school, days of the pirates kind of fittings.

I put the beckets on back burner....if my tools stop breaking down..LOL I will have time to consider it. I would make the darn things if I got the time.....there is enough information on how to do it on the net.

Comment

Originally posted by Gypsy31 View Post
                            WOW! You really enjoy doing Great Works that would be impossible for most of us to
                            even attempt to do! Speaking about falling, I did the same thing over three months ago!
                            I was using a high power portable blower, I turned right, immediately took a 'drunk like'
                            fall to my right! When I got up I felt like I was really drunk and dizzy, so far I get these
                            spinning feelings, three to four times a day! No I wasn't drinking any booze! The VA
                            Hospital Doctors have tried everything they can think of since my fall and still haven't
                            discovered the cause! Seems like my Marine Corps. and Navy drinking days are coming
                            back to haunt me!
                            Oscar
                            I have Fibromyaglia. I do fall a lot....it is a .spatial disorientation...as You will see me running into the door frame instead of going through the door at times and no I am not practicing for clown school. I have the same issues as a person with MS.....I fall, we call it the tumble club..LOL..because one minute your up and the next your down. I am not dizzy at all as some people claim. So I fall....most time I am ok as when I took judo..they taught us to fall the right way. But lately ha ha not so lucky, worst thing is , if it keeps happening we are looking at the darn wheel chair again. .... Just thank God I can still carve, it is about the only thing I do half well.

Comment

Ok some pictures zero of this is finished work...but on going issue, these pieces are small and need extreme patience's which at times I am low on. This goes on the back it is bass wood....I am still sanding it down and forming it. I choose basswood for this part of the chest....because I have to make shells and barnacles which will be light in color... this piece is on going work, I love basswood, but the fuzzies can drive a person insane. I sit under the lychee tree and sand and with mini carvers and design. This is about as big as my palm of my hand.

Comment

I am beginning to design the sea animals that will sit on top of this chest. These are baby sea turtles I will have at least three of them....no idea where they will go until I get to that part, and right now have two star fish which are in the process of design and formation ....that I am just beginning to form out of koa wood. Koa is a hard wood to carve.

Comment

Working...
                                X