Swan Sleigh Santa

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swan Sleigh Santa

Swaun Sleigh Santa 012.JPGWavingSanta.jpg Here is a new project that I will be working on for awhile. I have taken a picture of a rustic swan sleigh and combined it with a waving Santa.The pictures that I have used are shown here and then a picture of my design that has been gleaned from them. I guess we will see how this all turns out.
    621af45010db47e6df06f1e460495c49.jpg
    Last edited by Claude; 07-17-2017, 10:32 AM. Reason: typo correction for search engine

The perimeter of the design sawed out. Swuan Sleigh Snata 001.JPG

Comment

Now that's creative. I like how you brought two ideas together and made it your own.

Comment

I like your design, but please give us more information...wood used/ dimensions. Looking forward to seeing more.

Comment

Hello, Joyce, the dimensions are 8 1/2" wide, 8" tall and 2" thick. I have used the old stand by, Bass Wood.

Comment

Thanks Cottonwood. That is going to be awesome...looking forward to seeing the completed one.

Comment

Hi Millard, I see another Great Piece of Art from you. Watching with Great Interest. Merle

Comment

Look forward to following your process on another great carving Cottenwood.
                Randy

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

Comment

In beginning to carve this project I have realized that this is a much more complex carving project than what the thought and subject of it is. In looking at the sleigh runners, which are going to appear as rough driftwood, I have to decide how to carve the slope of the braces going up to from the runner to the body of the sleigh (swan). I could carve the slope of the braces and then carve the actual braces after the slope is determined.but have decided to carve the space between the braces out and then create the slope of each individual brace later with the idea of making them somewhat irregular in shape to approximate actual driftwood or rough hewn logs.
                  Last edited by Cottonwood; 07-18-2017, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Hi Millard, You are looking at a Flat Front View without a Left Side View , so you have nothing to go by but your Imagination on how it would look. I would Rough Carve the Sleigh but don't Carve the Braces yet . After Roughing out the Sleigh you will be able to visualize the Angle of the Braces better. Hope my little input can help you on your Thought Process. Merle

Comment

Yeah, I thought I would take out the parts on the under side that I know will not be there, then tackle the body of the sleigh and not mess with any angles just yet. The sleigh body (swan) is a curious mixture of convex and concave surfaces. When I get stumped, I'll just move up to the waving arm and take that down a little bit until my path on the sleigh is clear. Santa's arm overlaps the top of the sleigh making me wonder just how to treat the top of the sleigh (wing). I know that there is a method of carving relief that demands carving the deepest parts first. I probably should do that to some extent here.

Comment

I forgot to mention that this will be a deep relief carving.

Comment

Hi Millard, Isn't it Fun to have a Project that makes you think ??? Watching with great interest. Merle

Comment

Entering the ugly "this is going nowhere" stage.
                            001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG

Comment

Working...
                            X