No announcement yet.

Putti Angel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mighty nice that one is. Great hear and all.

Comment

Impressive carving, Millard. You are capturing not only the technical aspects of the rendition, but also the essence, if you will, of the cherub, a more difficult feat. I envy your skill.
      Arthur

Comment

Good Lord that's nice!

Tinwood

Comment

Hey Cottonwood. This is amazing!
          How large is this piece and how do you figure out the depth of your carving? Do you mark some type of silhouette somewhere within the 3/4 inches or just wing it? Either way it’s truly an impressive piece of work.

Comment

excellent work. A real pleasure. Thank

Comment

I just wing it and carve until it looks right. I have had no luck in measuring depth on works that copy a 2 dimensional picture, all though I have tried. Never have I kept the depth consistent from predetermined numbers and had it come out satisfactory. One thing for sure....you don't want anyone to view this carving from the side! (grin). From the front is the only way. In case anyone is noticing, I plan to clean up the edges when I remove it from the holding device. 002.JPG004.JPG003.JPG
              Last edited by Cottonwood; 02-12-2018, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Nikki, I usually glue a copy of the picture I want to carve to the board before starting. Just compose your carving on paper and make a copy and glue it on. On some of my other relief carvings I have used wood 2" thick and felt that I had too much thickness. In this case I was wishing that I had that extra thickness.

Comment

Cottonwood - Thanks, I can really relate to the process you describe.

The Angel's pose reminds me of this carving I purchased in Bermuda, I think the wood is spalted monkeypod,

Bermuda 066.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by Cottonwood View Post
                    Nikki, I usually glue a copy of the picture I want to carve to the board before starting. Just compose your carving on paper and make a copy and glue it on. On some of my other relief carvings I have used wood 2" thick and felt that I had too much thickness. In this case I was wishing that I had that extra thickness.
                    Well that’s even more impressive then. I’m not sure how long you’ve been carving but it looks like you have a natural talent for carving. I was extremely surprised that it is only 3/4 of an inch thick.
                    Very inspirational. Thanks for sharing !

Comment

004 (2).JPG Happy Valentine's Day to all at Woodcarving Illustrated!

Comment

Beautiful. I'd be interested in hearing about your finishing technique.

Comment

What can I say Millard, beautiful, just beautiful!

Tinwood

Comment

I love angels ....great job.

Comment

Wow, Millard your angel is really coming along nicely.

Comment

Working...
                              X