Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tinwood
    replied
    Nice work sir. Should wow the folks at the exhibition no doubt.

Tinwood

Leave a comment:

• Dan
    replied
    Carving 7, named George by my wife. Lime dragon on an oak shield, finished with Victorian mahogany, antique pine and Georgian mahogany wax. Black acrylic for the pupils and letters. Lost track of time but I think somewhere around 60 hours. Ready for the class exhibition on Friday.

Leave a comment:

• Dan
    replied
    The letters are 3/4” high. I used a 1mm #11 and a 3mm #7.
    The dragons head is 1’ x 9” x 9”

Leave a comment:

• Arthur C.
    replied
    Looking good, Dan! What size are the letters, and what tools did you use to carve them? Also, what size is the dragon head?

Leave a comment:

• Dan
    replied
    Wall mount is ready. First try at letter carving, and carving in oak.
    Letters are black acrylic paint, shield is Georgian mahogany wax polish.

Leave a comment:

• Dan
    replied
    Horns are now shaped, just need tidying.

Leave a comment:

• lionslair
    replied
    Now for some Alligator Skin to put on the scaled Dragon.

Leave a comment:

• Dan
    replied
    So I changed the mouth again. No beak as it didn’t go with the new mouth shape. The shaded areas will be drilled through. The eyes are longer and rounded.

Leave a comment:

• DLarabee
    replied
    I'm excited about watching your progress on this project. Dragons are my favorite subject, so I'm always wanting to see others interpretations. As for opinions, I like the new mouth style with teeth, and for sure you should deepen the eye corners.

Leave a comment:

• Dan
    replied
    Randy I agree, when viewed from the front the eye is almost invisible due to the flatness.

Two whole eyes seem to be the way to go. I changed the mouth design again, the other one looks too much like a smirk.

Leave a comment:

• Randy
    replied
    Coming along nicely .I would carve the eye also. Looking at your one carved eye you might consider deepening each corner of the eye ball little, just enough to let you give the eye some depth and roundness.

Leave a comment:

• Claude
    replied
    I think same size eyes, but I also think a few teeth (canines) would be good.

Claude

Leave a comment:

• Dileon
    replied
    Originally posted by Dan View Post
    Opinions please! I’ve carved one eye, do I carve the other one the same or make it different( see pictures)? Same with the mouth, keep it as original sketch or showing teeth?
    Suggestions welcome.
    I would carve eyes the same, no teeth on this design. .....he looks great and scary enough.....teeth are a major pain in the rear end to make anyway....if you can make a great dragon without teeth that is great. And he has enough sharp edges to make a great design.

Leave a comment:

• Dan
    replied
    Do you mean like the first photo? It will be visible from both sides.

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied
    I suggest a wider eye on the other side, with an eyeball including a cat-like pupil slit. Also, show some teeth. Will this be mounted (displayed) so that both sides can be seen at the same time?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X