No announcement yet.

Frostmourne

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding some detail outside the photo. Also mounted the two skulls on the hilt. Working out goat horns next.

Comment

Fully formed the last feature at the top of the handle. I think this is more wood filler than wood

Comment

It is coming along. Been a learning experience for you as well, Good job
        . . .JoeB

Comment

If you're carving basswood. you need to use a "Pre-Stain" before staining to help prevent blotching. I have yet to find a filler that will accept stain like the wood, so I suggest rather than staining you use a non-clear shellac, such as Amber (orange), which you can buy pre-mixed. If you want to buy shellac flakes to dissolve in alcohol, you can widen your color choices to garnet, ruby, etc.

Of course, gel stain has already been suggested, and it is used to good effect by some carvers on the forum, but I have not liked it myself...whatever works for you!
          Arthur

Comment

Progress. Since I used so much wood filler I decided to go ahead and use primer + a hammered effect metallic looking paint instead. Also finished one of the goat horns. And attached. Just one of those took me about 5 hours. Hopefully I can cut that time in half for the second.

Comment

Finished Shaping the horn’s and then I was hit with inspiration for one final effect to add before painting.

hahaha!

Comment

Yup, that'll get your attention!

Tinwood

Comment

This is going well!
                  . . .JoeB

Comment

Built a box in the blade so I could illuminate the ruins, put down aluminum tape on the inside for more reflection of the light. Bought LED lights from amazon that have various colors in settings. Now it’s time for all the fun painting and blending. May or may not add A mini smoke machine. All the carvings done at least. Still more updates but this project is going to wrap up soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X