Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• st andrew - wip

hello everybody :-)

i feeled like wanting show you what i am working on. i work on 3 pieces in the moment, but this one, st andrew, is the one my main focus is on, and i want share today ... those of you familiar with german renaissance carvings might wonder, and yes thats right, this wip is based on the carving of st andrew of veit stoss. i borrow those ideas of stoss i like,but want give the carving a somewhat different direction. we will see how this turns out... as always my carvings look very messy in the stage when i try to find in wood what i see in my mind. i tried to carve cleanly in this first stage of carving, but then i cant find the forms since concentrating too much on making it look clean. hope you enjoy nevertheless... (oh, should mention probably, he is lifesize, but only 6,5cm deep...)

Re: st andrew - wip

This will be fun to watch Doris. I always enjoy your carvings.
    Thor
    Steve

Comment

Looks like you got off to a great start! Can't wait to see the rest.
      GaryMc

Comment

Doris it's looking great can't wait to see the finish product. bird carver

Comment

You are off to a wonderful start! Already there is so much to look at in this piece even at this stage.The structural elements are there,,I can see the beginnings of an interesting beard and hair.Just great work.
          And don't be too concerned with having the piece look perfect at early stages,,,they generally don't. Besides if it was great looking you might hesitate to re-do a section since you made it look so good. If it's a bit messy,,well you don't mind so much. Remember,,it only has to look good when you are finished.Till then doesn't much matter,,,though it still looks good now!

Comment

Hi Doris, your carving ideas for st andrewof veit stoss are making it your own. I always enjoy seeing your wonderful carvings. You have such a good feel for portrait carving--I like seeing the planes of the face to me it adds character and interest. Like the rest of those who have posted here I'll be following along too. Great start!
            Kathy

Comment

Doris, Great work! The face shape looks just right and this should be another
              outstanding carving,
              Jim OH

Comment

Doris .. Always a pleasure to see your work .. Yours looks better in transition then mine does finished

Looks already like it's going to be a great piece ..

Gene

Comment

Nice work Doris. That image is shaping up great and his features are coming out nicely. Keep up the good work, and keep us posted on progress.

Bob
                  Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Excellent work Doris!

Comment

Doris,
                      this project will be so exciting to watch. He is already impressive, I can't wait to see the next post.

Comment

thank you everybody for your kind words, so glad you enjoy looking this... yes, i will show more progress pics, next probably when i have smoothed him down a little to be able to see where the next smaller shapes go ... and yes, kathy, the planes of face how you call it, is (to me) the most important to get right in the beginning. they tell everything, not the details, though details can be so much fun to carve ...yes, mark, i understand. only important is to get the final result look good, i was irritate, since all i see here on the board seems be in any stage so much cleaner than mine...just thinking, maybe is same as that not matters which tools we use, power, chainsaw, handtools or knifes, result is what counts, and that we had fun while carving .. thank you all, now breakfast, and then back to carving ...

Comment

Beautiful work, Doris. The beard is going to be stunning. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Doris,thats what I like about your carvings!! Your work "always" have a real meaning and you carve emotions that come from yourself! Its easy to see for me that you create that.My great grandfather was from Germany and his wife was jewish. I was raised from both sets of my grandparents,my one grandmother was born in Germany. She was kinda tough on me but I now appreciate some of the values I learned from her. Im looking forward to seeing this carving in its progressions. Forrest Tn~

Comment

yes, the beard...i hope i can achieve what i want, and then it will be stunning joy :-) i love those renaissance type beards, a pity men today dont grow them anymore ...

oh, forrest, that is wonderful of you to say. this is exactely what i intend to carve, my emotional reactions to world around me. it is less the true portrait with likeness i am after (though i like trying that too) than let the piece tell something, about me, or about how experience things ... now your family came from germany too, how fun. have you been yourself in germany (or europe?) also?

Comment

Working...
                              X