Flatlander trying to do a ship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flatlander trying to do a ship

Being raised in SE Colo. Did see many ships, as a matter a fact we were always a little short on water.

Saw this on the internet the other day, and just felt I need to try and do a relief. Each time I think I'm getting close and walk away, then come back it is OH sh**. I'm getting a little closer. Was thinking about doing it in just Danish oils, but I screwed up and then had to use some Quick Wood..Anyway C^C Welcome
    . . .JoeB

I like it--for a land lubber you did good (all kidding aside very nice). And I have to ask what part of SE Colo. were you raised in? I grew up in SE Co. too-the little town of Kim.
    Have A Great Day
    Terry
    Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most!

Comment

Ordway. Had a brother-in-law J. Jeffryes who coach at Kim back in the sixties.
      Thanks, Terry
      . . .JoeB

Comment

Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
        Being raised in SE Colo. Did see many ships, as a matter a fact we were always a little short on water.

Saw this on the internet the other day, and just felt I need to try and do a relief. Each time I think I'm getting close and walk away, then come back it is OH sh**. I'm getting a little closer. Was thinking about doing it in just Danish oils, but I screwed up and then had to use some Quick Wood..Anyway C^C Welcome
        Lots of Reefs and water ways - just no white sheets flying in the wind! The Reefs are the white outcrop in the tops of mountains that once were in the ocean. Pushed up by the mountains.

Comment

Sorry, lionslair, A little thick between the ears, not understanding your message
          . . .JoeB

Comment

Pretty cool, Joe Paul! But then I am a flat lander to.
            Herb

Comment

Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
              Sorry, lionslair, A little thick between the ears, not understanding your message
              That is ok. If you drive in the mountains in the west - those were under water and flat land. Oceans came from Texas to Canada. When the Western mountains - to many to list - started growing the oceans had receded for the most part, the Redwoods that grew to the Mississippi River were being cut off the rain from the west and died back. The 'rock forest' in Arizona are Redwood logs. The reefs are ocean reefs that grew along the inland ocean. Texas has 400' deep reef we use as water... Yours are raised up into the mountains and are a 50 to 100' of white rock that is full of shells. Long time before either of us and during the build of North America. You might find some by name - they name the reefs - on maps. They are all over the West.

Comment

Well Joe, I grew up within spitting distance of the ocean and can even now stand on my back doorstep and throw a rock into the north Atlantic Ocean. I say you've done a fine job on that ship (and water) even though that particular model of ship was long gone before I was born............. I say,...WELL DONE!
                Wayne
                If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

It looks pretty good to me, Joe. Maybe just a coat of Danish oil will do the trick.
                  Keep On Carvin'
                  Bob K.

My Etsy page: https://www.etsy.com/shop/rwkwoodcarving

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/robert.kozakiewicz.9

My RWK Woodcarving Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rwkwood

My Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/rwkoz51/

Comment

This has a very dramatic air about it. Much more than I expected looking at the preview thumbnail. I can almost feel it heaving in the swells. Nice job! It might be an inspiration for me to try flat panel relief carving.

Tom

Comment

Good. As usual, I don't appreciate photo-realism.
                      The design elements = wind in the sails, the pitch of the hull, water, waves.
                      Those set off my imagination just fine.
                      Brian T

Comment

I'm with Bob K., would look good with oil. Can't see your fubar from the picture provided. Looks pretty swell from here.

Tinwood

Comment

Careful, they become addictive.

Bob
                          Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Herb~Thanks
                            Wayne~Thanks
                            BobK~Thanks, I think that booboo I made will show up like a sore thumb if I use just the oil
                            Tom~Thanks, the picture I saw really caught my eye and I knew I had to try
                            Brian~Thanks, just wish my skills were better
                            Tinwood~Thanks, -fubar- had to look it up, nothing new for me, If you look in the middle of the bottom, of the four, you'll see it
                            Bob~Thanks, I can see why.

try and finish the carving today and get ready for the painting.
                            . . .JoeB

Comment

Hi Joe, I think you did one Heck of a Job and Detailing should jump out when the Finish is Applied . Merle

Comment

Working...
                              X