Dancing Bear

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dancing Bear

Another Louisiana Ranger and I met in the Utah desert many years ago and became fast friends. Our lives separated as each of us followed our careers to other Parks. We remained in contact, seeing each other at Conferences every couple of years. I retired to the Ozarks and he moved near here for his final assignment.

Stylized Fish.jpgTung 05.JPG

I have given a carving to each of his two oldest children and am now planning one for his youngest daughter. She is the hardest to carve for as she has so many different interests ~ but she does love music and loves to dance.

This aided me in planning an ambitious carving for her that would relate to both her interests and my being a carver of Birds and Beasts. I am embarked on carving a dancing bear.
    Drawing.jpg
    It has taken me several weeks to come up with a design but I am getting close now. Once I had a rough drawing ~ I started constructing a non-hardening clay figure to aid in my carving.

The bear will be clutching a drum held against its chest with one paw, a drum stick in the other. head thrown back in enjoyment, standing on one leg with the other up to indicate dancing. I plan on placing the bear in a flower for the base.

I have yet to lock in on natural or painted wood for the bear. I will use a basswood magnolia blossom that has been bleached for the flower. The whole figure will be somewhere around 8 inches.
    Front.jpgRight side.jpgSeft Side.jpg

Awesome project, Paul
    Herb

Comment

Looking forward to seeing this one Paul.

Tinwood

Comment

Fun project, Paul!
        Arthur

Comment

I'm sure the bear will march on, looking forward to his advance
          . . .JoeB

Comment

Great work Paul, looking forward to more

Comment

Now that will be a project to follow. Good luck with it Paul.

Bob
              Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Looks like fun. Keep us posted.
                Joe

Comment

Working...
                X