Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drhandrich
    replied
    thankyou, right now i just have 2 straight vees on each face of the handle, thinking of putting a repeat pattern onto those.

Leave a comment:

• JoeVM
    replied
    Very nice!

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    A project to be proud of

Leave a comment:

• drhandrich
    replied
    finished mirror.jpg i guess i have it as far as i will take it for the time being. i gave it a super light shade of color with oil pencils. click to zoom in

Leave a comment:

• drhandrich
    replied
    a good point for me to remember

Leave a comment:

• Steev
    replied
    For some of us, the variety is a part of the fun.
    i think the carving lots well done with good clean cuts. If you go with a border, it should be some thing simple near the edge to not distract from the carving and leave some clear wood to highlight the carving.
    Last edited by Steev; 10-20-2018, 06:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• drhandrich
    replied
    i guess this is still basically a bonifide chip carving, but the finish i am looking to do now is a cross between scrimshaw and sign making. fill in the divots and clean off the outer surface. this is Fun !! i just now gave a hand brushed black acrylic to it. will sand the surface off tomorrow when the paint is good n hard. come to think of it, it is quite like the few signs i carved with a chain saw. burnt the divots black, and shaved the surface with the chain, then stained that. i am still looking for "my Niche" i dabble with lots of styles and have fun, but get off to another style before long. i really would like to fall in with one that i get "hooked" on. meantime i still need some help thinking of a border pattern, all i ever come up with is rope. i have not enough imagination or experience with this part of it. will take all the suggestions i can get !

Leave a comment:

• drhandrich
    replied
    sorry for the delay, just got back from camping. thanks all for the kind words and encouragement. i think i should consider some sort of border for the rim of the mirror, and the handle. any suggestions?

Leave a comment:

• Kadiddle
    replied
    I like it. Sometimes good things just happen. Thanks for showing.
    Carve On,
    Kadiddle

Leave a comment:

• uvawyo
    replied
    I agree with everone and like it as is

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied
    Accent what you have and make it a hand mirror as you have planned.

The whole design is drifting in the direction of a PacNW concept called "form-line" carving.
    There's a line or groove which outlines the entire figure with the the design elements flowing in and out of it.

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    Just and oil stain, maybe different shades for the bird and outside the bird, this turn really nice

Leave a comment:

• drhandrich
    replied
    i know the scrimshaw is fine line detail, but this was actually a chip carve, but having to scrape off the top surface i wondered about the words of Bob Ross and saw a happy accident. i am considering leaving it alone. or at the least , recoating the divots with a fresh black acrylic all one color , and cleaning off the top again. i never saw a wide gap scrimshaw.
    Last edited by drhandrich; 10-18-2018, 07:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Soggy
    replied
    I'd say leave it as is,.... looks pretty darn good to me. Usually scrimshaw lines are a bit finer than yours, but i have seen examples of antique powderhorns that had very distinct lines.
    Wayne

Leave a comment:

• drhandrich
    started a topic scrimshaw??

scrimshaw??

I had posted my first chipcarved owl in another thread. and then i thought to reduce the pattern and apply it to something functional , so i put it on what will be a hand mirror.
    i botched up the paint job, so i sanded it off, intending to start over. but the result reminds me of scrimshaw.
    now i have a question for you. should i leave it as is and make believe it is a scrimshaw? it aint the worst idea. scrimshaw.jpg
Working...
X