Dog carving.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog carving.

This is just about ready to start on the fir. My goal is to give it the look of a golden retriever, requiring the appearance of longer hair than I have done in the past.

IMG_0529.jpgIMG_0528.jpg
    Randy

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

The nerve-wrecking part, luck to you
    . . .JoeB

Comment

Very nice so far Randy.

Comment

Hi Randy, you got a good Piece to work on for doing Hair. Should turn out to be Great. I'm working on a King Charles Spaniel now and getting close to where you are. I got to keep telling myself , Bottom to Top and Back to Front , I always want to do the opposite . Merle

Comment

Originally posted by Merle Rice View Post
          Hi Randy, you got a good Piece to work on for doing Hair. Should turn out to be Great. I'm working on a King Charles Spaniel now and getting close to where you are. I got to keep telling myself , Bottom to Top and Back to Front , I always want to do the opposite . Merle

Merle, please explain "Bottom to Top and Back to Front." I'm planning a bust of my miniature Schnauzer, and that's a new one to me!
          Arthur

Comment

Hi Arthur , I read a couple of Articles on carving Hair and they said to start at the Bottom of Carving and work up . They also said to work from the Back to Front . This gives you an over lapping of the Hair like Shingles on a Roof. The length of strokes depends on the length of Hair on Dog. Also don't try to carve every Hair . Start in the Middle on the back of his Neck and work from the Bottom to between his Ears and up . By the time you get to the Top you will have the Understanding of what you are doing. Bottom of his Jaw up to top of Muzzle . It is a Rewarding Process , so take your time and have Fun, it's only a Piece of Wood. Merle

Comment

I know Merle it seems backward. But it layers better from bottom to top. The longer wavy hair of a golden will require some work. I will try to carve in some definition and depth to the layers before I try to work in the hair itself.
              Randy

Comment

Hi ,Randy, I'll be watching with great interest , so please show your Progress on your definition and depth. Thanks Merle

Comment

Wow, you are really starting to get the attitude of the dog down.....awesome job!!!

Comment

very nice

Comment

i sure am looking forward to seeing more of this. are you putting in fur with a woodburner or veining gouge or vee ????
                      Denny

photos at........ http://wiscoden.jimdo.com/

Comment

Started on the fur today I am using a ¼” #11 bent palm gouge to lay in the basic lines. I will follow with v tool or rotary tool and fine burrs for detail.
                        IMG_0560.jpg
                        Randy

Comment

Hi Randy, you got the Realistic look going for you , gona be a Great looking Pooch. Thanks for Showing your progress. Merle

Comment

This is going to be a fantastic topper
                            . . .JoeB

Comment

Working...
                            X