Lock and key

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lock and key

Getting started on this lock and key. Spent some time on the layout. Gonna use the bandsaw at work tomorrow to rough it out. Should be a fun challenge.

I have not seen anybody do these kinds of carvings in years. Good for you.
    I wish you every success.
    Brian T

Comment

I'm wondering, is it a functional lock and key? Will be watching with interest
      . . .JoeB

Comment

No not functional, just a puzzle. Similar to a ball in a cage.

Comment

Interesting and looking forward to the final steps.
          Bill
          Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Very interesting. Please keep us posted with WIP photos. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
            Keep On Carvin'
            Bob K.

My Etsy page: https://www.etsy.com/shop/rwkwoodcarving

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/robert.kozakiewicz.9

My RWK Woodcarving Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rwkwood

My Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/rwkoz51/

Comment

Beautiful project. I would love to see your progress as you go, very interesting.

Comment

There is a tribe of people making functional wooden locks. Massive things as big as your hand.
                Just novelties or ceremonial items I suppose, but all sorts of exotic woods and inlays.
                Have not heard a peep about that in years. I think they look so cool.
                Brian T

Comment

I can't say I've ever seen one of these. Sure looking forward to the finished item! Hope you show us some wip photos.

Comment

Here it post bandsaw. Could've shaped it a little more but its my first rough out so left it a little conservative. It still makes sense in my head so now the fun begins. Here goes nothing.

Comment

This will probly give you a better idea of the end result. Its getting there but I'm not sure how I'm going to separate the key. May not have enough material. Any thoughts?

Comment

So close!! Working my way around trying to separate the key and I broke it. Learned a few things though. I think it's doable, a smaller knife would have helped. I may have left too little material to work with during the separation. Definitely going to try again, I love the look of this idea. Thanks for looking!!

Comment

Oh, rats. I'm too late. But your photo does illustrate one reason why I work with really HARD hardwoods. Anyway, here is what I wrote in reply and was just about to post:

First of all, welcome to the world of doodads.

Secondly, the particular design of your doodad is interesting but it forces you into some tough challenges. In particular, the hasp is so narrow and the key so wide that there is almost no room between the inner side of the hasp and the face of the key. This leaves you almost no room to get a knife in and separate the key from hasp in the area of the innermost curvature of the hasp.

I have three tools I use for really tight work. One is pretty much my favorite knife: a modified Deepwoods Ventures Draper Detailer. I ground the spine of the blade away to make the blade very narrow and capable of reaching deeper into narrow openings. Very handy for carving chains or captive rings on an axle (which is basically what you have with your key and hasp).

Another tool is a fretsaw blade which I have mounted in an XActo knife handle. I would use that to cut a slot between the face of the key and the inner sides of the hasp. Then you can use the knife to round the profile of the hasp to give you more room to get in between the inside of the key and the inner curve of the hasp.

And then I have 1/16" chisel that is pretty much a digging tool for really deep, tight, inside cutting. I made it from a jeweler's screwdriver.

I think it is possible to free that key up but it is going to take real patience. The secret will be taking out itsy bitsy teensy weensy little bits of wood. And, most probably, you will end up with a really skinny hasp and a big hole through the key.

The tip of almost any knife used in this kind of work will take a beating. Expect to break the tip as you dig deeper and try to make significant cuts. That's why patience with really tiny cuts is essential. I'm on my second Draper Detailer because my first eventually just got a bit too short after breaking off and reshaping the tip many times over several years.

I hope this makes sense. If you are interested in other doodad designs I have several in a section of my website.

Comment

And my website address is honketyhank.com .

Comment

Thanks for the info hank. Yea once I got it shaped out I realized my proportions were a bit off and definitely going to make it much harder than I originally thought. Right know I only have the 3 piece flexcut set, so i may look into another tool or two for those tricky spots. I like these puzzle type carvings so im sure some specific tools will be a must.

Comment

Working...
                              X