A new ship on the shipways.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new ship on the shipways.

Time to begin a new project, another ship model, the French frigate Le Renommee of 1744, in the scale 1/4" : 1', or 1:48. I have begun by cutting stock, Pear wood, to the size wood that I will need for the keel, building up the ribs, etc. Now it is time to begin the chore of re-drawing the draughts for the ribs, a working drawing. I also carved a character to scale to help in the project, to help check to scale. He is carved in Cherry wood. This project will take a lot of time, more than a year at least. So, welcome for the ride!

Bob

bbench.jpgcharacter.jpgcharacter 2.jpgcharacter 3.jpg
    Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

I look forward to the journey with you and Le Capitain, if you will. It's always fascinating to follow your ship projects, Bob.
    Arthur

Comment

Anchors away will be watching
      . . .JoeB

Comment

Nice work on that 1.5 inch figure, Bob! Ambitious project that will definitely keep you busy for a while.

Claude
        My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
        My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
        My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
        My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Hi Bob
          Looks like another nice model ship is about to be created in New Brunswick, I think I should come up and have a look in August, I am only about two and a half hours away
          Bruce

Comment

QUOTE:... This project will take a lot of time, more than a year at least. So, welcome for the ride!

Should have her done about the time the ice goes outta the Bay of Chaleur ...lol....
            keep us posted,
            Wayne
            If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

Originally posted by scotia carver View Post
              Hi Bob
              Looks like another nice model ship is about to be created in New Brunswick, I think I should come up and have a look in August, I am only about two and a half hours away
              Bruce
              You would be very welcome Bruce.

Bob
              Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Began yesterday by working up working drawings of the frames/ribs. Got 14 done only 40 more to go. LOL Plenty of other drawings to do as well as ribs, half frames aft and filler pieces around the bow. There is a lot of work to do before you cut one piece out for the actual model.

Bob
                Attached Files
                Last edited by squbrigg; 02-28-2019, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Is this an appropriate time to say 'shiver me timbers'??? Nice work Bob. Those cross sections seem drawn with particular care, as I"m sure they must be.

Tinwood

Comment

Bloody hell! I hate it when I waste time. Two days of drawings down the tubes. I traced two big drawings from copies that I had from a professional draughting copy machine and when I checked them against originals, I found that the copies were "off" by a considerable margin. Should have known better, use the originals always, don't trust a copy. So spent today redrawing the two big draughts and finally got them right. Thank goodness the ribs/frames wouldn't be big enough to be distorted by the copy machine, but I will check all 54 drawings to insure their accuracy. Had I tried to build the ship model based on those "off" drawings, nothing would have fitted right, and caused no end of trouble. Photo copies are worse, there is always a margin of error/distortion to a photocopy. You would be okay with a drawing of a rabbit or dog or bird, but for something like this, they have to be exact.
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

I can feel the pain all the way out here, but knowing you, you'll bounce back in a charging bull fashion
                      . . .JoeB

Comment

Pain is right JoeP, but a lot less than if I had tried to build using bad drawings. Tried that before and what a headache that was. I'll get to the building part soon, bought the plywood for the building jig yesterday.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                        X