"Barry the bear" from Mike Shipley's book

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Barry the bear" from Mike Shipley's book

Hi all. Here's my take on Barry the bear from Mike Shipley's fantastic book "Whittling the country bear & his friends". I just finished whittling & painting this as a gift for my sis who loves bears. The paint is a "wash", mixing 25% paint to 75% water as mentioned in the book. I found this to work out VERY well. I finished him with boiled linseed oil with raw umber oil paint mixed in as per the book. First time i ever used linseed oil. I always used polyurethane before, & really like the fact you get no plasticy sheen at ALL with linseed oil. This will be my preferred finish from now on. Hope you like him, & happy whittlin'
    Last edited by whittles by whitt; 03-23-2019, 06:25 AM.

Nice looking bear there sir.

Tinwood

Comment

Hi ! Witt , good all round job . Merle

Comment

Better than the average bear there, Boo Boo.

Good job, Whitt.

Comment

Nice carving and finishing, Whitt...looks like a good guy!
          Arthur

Comment

Mighty fine bear!
            Herb

Comment

Nice carving and painting...as well as the "antiquing." What size is it and what size did you start with?
              Bill
              Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Originally posted by woodburner807 View Post
                Nice carving and painting...as well as the "antiquing." What size is it and what size did you start with?
                Hi Woodburner. I used the full size pattern from the book, so he stands just under 5 & 1/2 inches tall. As for what I started with, a huge slab of basswood that I cut the appropriate size block out with, using my Japanese pull saw, to accommodate how high, deep {front to back} & wide {side to side} it needed to be based on the pattern. Then I cut the silhouette side view out with a coping saw, & from there on, just used my ol' pocketknife. Takes a lot longer my way, but that's the "old time rustic way" I love doing it. Thanks for the kindness, & happy whittlin' my friend.

Comment

Nice carving

Comment

Nice looking bear!

Claude
                    My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/

My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/

My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Hi Whitt
                      Are you sure you have just begun your life as a wood carver. Your bears are great painting is first class, thanks for sharing
                      Bruce

Comment

Boy for the wash, you certainly got good color, Really set your sis's bear off, fine job sir
                        . . .JoeB

Comment

Originally posted by whittles by whitt View Post

Hi Woodburner. I used the full size pattern from the book, so he stands just under 5 & 1/2 inches tall. As for what I started with, a huge slab of basswood that I cut the appropriate size block out with, using my Japanese pull saw, to accommodate how high, deep {front to back} & wide {side to side} it needed to be based on the pattern. Then I cut the silhouette side view out with a coping saw, & from there on, just used my ol' pocketknife. Takes a lot longer my way, but that's the "old time rustic way" I love doing it. Thanks for the kindness, & happy whittlin' my friend.
                          Thanks Whittles and the reason I asked the question is I tried to make some smaller and was never satisfied with the ears...yours are fine though.
                          Bill
                          Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Originally posted by scotia carver View Post
                            Hi Whitt
                            Are you sure you have just begun your life as a wood carver. Your bears are great painting is first class, thanks for sharing
                            Bruce
                            Hi Bruce. I never said I was new to whittling. I don't know where you got the idea I did. Sorry if i somehow came across like i was insinuating that. No, I've been doing pocketknife whittling since 1994. BUT, I currently AM new to painting what I whittle, plus i have no art background, which doesn't help me. This is my first truly serious attempt at painting my whittlings properly. I give credit to Mike Shipley's easy instructions in that book for mixing & thinning paint needed, & truly feel my sainted mother helped from above, as she was a great self taught artist. Thanks so much for your kindness. Happy whittlin' my friend.
                            Last edited by whittles by whitt; 03-23-2019, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by woodburner807 View Post

Thanks Whittles and the reason I asked the question is I tried to make some smaller and was never satisfied with the ears...yours are fine though.
                              I left the ear area the way it was when I cut the side view out {I never cut the front view out} until I was ready to start on the ear area. That way, I knew they'd hang off to the sides & not just straight up or something.

Comment

Working...
                              X