Double Foxes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Foxes

A couple of weeks ago I received an unexpected phone call. It came from 2 Returned Peace Corps Volunteers who taught at Malosa Secondary School, Malawi, Africa with me in 1965. Ann now lives in California and Eileen in Rhode Island. Except for Xmas cards ~ I had not talked with Ann directly in 10 years and Eileen in 4 years. The two were visiting at Eileen's home in Rhode Island and decided to call me.

We had a wonderful conversation catching up on our lives ~ then the subject of woodcarving came up. I mentioned that I had designed a dancing bear to be given as a gift. They advised me that 54 years of friendship seemed to warrant one of my carvings!! I ignored the hint!

Afterwards, discussing the phone call with Diana, she said, "Those two ladies were very special in your life. You really should carve something for them. I allowed as how I had a moose antler carving to finish ~ a barn owl almost ready for assembly ~ otters with fur almost burned ~ dancing bear in non-hardening clay ~ relief carving for the redwood burl drawn up ~ wood for a polar bear purchased.

Then I started feeling kinda guilty. What to do? Ann and Eileen were roommates at Malosa and see one another at least once a year. What if one liked the carving I did for the other better? What could I do fast? A couple of days mulling this over ~ Eureka! ~ Epiphany!

Several years ago I carved a fox at a Debbe Edwards, Wildlife in Wood Seminar.

Latest 005.jpgLatest 007.jpg
    I visited her website and found that she still has these roughouts for sale. Why not by two and carve them for Ann and Eileen? Saves time and avoids comparison! I will not inform either of them. Just mail them out at the same time for a surprise.

Double Foxes.jpg

I will not take the time to put in the detail with that I carved years ago. The foxes will be pretty much the same. I will make the base of each,d ifferent design and size rocks and will paint them differently. I am almost recovered from eye surgery and, if careful, can do some "rough in" carving. I decided to work from the bottom up. First ,I went over the fox with a pencil putting in various detail lines. The next step was to use a veiner to deepen these lines.

Bottom Up 2.jpgBottom Up 2.jpg

I use a marker to accent these lines and mark areas where I want to take the wood down. The foxes are underway but I will not be able to go a lot further until the gas bubble in my eye totally dissipates.

Excellent idea, Paul and can't wait to see the finished ones.
    Bill
    Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

That'll work Paul. Good thinking and great gesture.

Tinwood

Comment

Looking forward to see what you do with the foxes Paul. Those two ladies are very lucky, you are a kind and generous gentleman my Friend.

Bob
        Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Paul, there is no doubt, you are the man!
          . . .JoeB

Comment

nice work Paul

Comment

Working...
            X