picture frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• picture frame

I had posted a picture of this before,well now I've actually started on it this A.M.
    The whole painting is a bit over 7 ft tall and 4 ft wide.The hazy side is vellum where I'm drawing the patterns for the moulding and drapery. I've also included a small sketch of what the final piece should look like as well as the beginning stages of the glue up. This is being done in Mahogany. I'll also carve the rope tiebacks as well as the tassels. Along the bottom edge of the drapery I'll duplicate the pattern seen on Mary's robe.The top will be an actual brass rod that I'll run through the wood and carve the wood to look like it drapes over the rod.The bottom will be a narrow shelf basically with egg & dart moulding as well as the same mouldings edging the painting.

Re: picture frame

oh fun! i not forgot this, and now we get to see the piece be created :-) looking forward very much ! :-)

Comment

Mark .. That looks like it's going to be one fine piece when you get through with it ..

I cant wait to see the finished product ..

Gene

Comment

Mark, that's an original, ambitious piece, a beautiful design, and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. Mike
        Matthew

Comment

Sounds like quite an undertaking, but with your talent I'm sure you can handle it well. Can't wait to see more.....

Comment

Looks very interesting, I hope you will be showing this as it progresse's. Is your walnut 5/4 ? Skip

Comment

I only hope it turns out as well as everyone expects it to. Thanks for the votes of confidence!
              Yes..I started out with 5/4 stock in Mahogany. Finished it to 1 1/8. it should end up 3 layers thick.That should be enough to hide everything I don't plan on carving as well as having enough to wrap around the brass rod. This will be interesting to me as well,,my favorite type of job,,one I have never done before.Who knows what I'll run into.I like the start of this already!

Comment

Can't wait to see the flow of that drapery. Be sure to give us a "blow by blow" account of how it is going.

Comment

Good luck with this piece Mark, I can see your going to really enjoy the whole project. Looking forward to your future pics, enjoy your posts from glue-up to final finishing, thanks for all your efforts to keep us informed. Bill

Comment

I'm just happy to be away from leaves for now! This by comparison will be easy,,just long smooth cuts of varying depths instead of thousands of stop cuts,,grounding,,veins,,on and on and on.Thought I'd never finish those buggers. Plus I love to carve Mahogany,,that too is a relief compared to the Cherry.Throw in a bit of egg and dart and this WILL be fun and relaxing to do.I'm a bit pressed for time now,( tearing out walls,,floors,,to remodel my bathroom) but I will post pics of some silly little tricks in the glue up of this piece.Thanks everyone!

Comment

I've been quite busy latelywith more than just this piece,but here is an update.

When I glue up pieces that are going to be curved I like to make all the curved cuts first then glue them up,especially when the pieces are large.Yes,I could glue the panels,THEN cut them out but maneuvering an 8 ft piece through the bandsaw is cumbersome.And since it's difficult to clamp curved surfaces I make these little steps in the profile,cut the profile and almost cut through the step used for clamping. It's enough to hold the clamp in place,and when the glue is dry I just snap them off and have little cleanup to do.

Next, typical if you follow any of my work, is laying out the egg and dart. I'm modifiying it from the traditional in this case for various reasons,it'll be more of a ball instead of an egg shape. That profile I did using router bits I made,,as well as the top layer of moulding.Since this is all curved, I used the same method I outlined above. I was able to make it without having to twist and guide long pieces through the bandsaw. Cool huh?

Comment

And here you can see the difference in the style and shape of the egg & dart vs. what I usually do. No,,the centers aren't cut yet,,still determining that design. I want to incorporate 23K gold leaf into the design and want something to set it off well against the (eventually ) stained mouldings.

Here you can start to see the overlay of what will be the actual carved cloth laying over the mouldings. Looking from straight on most will be covered,but from an angle you will be able to see it snaking under the cloth.Also ..some additional wood will be added to the back of the "cloth" to make it appear more billowy??? and not a straight line against the mouldings.More natural if you will. Also you can see how I 'm handling the problem of getting the wood to appear as if it actually drapes over the brass rod. I did this by boring a one inch hole through the edge of a one inch board ( the same thickness of the top layer of moulding) but drilling it just slightly off center. This way I can keep all the grain of the wood going in the same direction,,even the piece that will be the swag which the bar is laying against.

Comment

hello mark, so nice to see update on the project. i like idea with the little steps to hold the curved surfaces with the clamps. neat idea. makemyself a note, to remember that next time i have trouble fixing curved wood... also i enjoy seeing your templates again for drawing the moulding design. i do enjoy (and learn) a lot by watching. so many ideas in a picture frame. thanks for sharing !

Comment

Thank you, Mark. I always learn so much just watching you work.

Comment

Hi Mark: Thanks for the details on the glue-up. I don't think I'd know how to tackle a project like this. Keep posting your progress. Mike
                              Matthew

Comment

Working...
                              X