Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carvings I am messin with

Hi all

Here are carvings been working on. Small one I lost its nose etc so just tried to fix for a quick fix for now..
    The small one was going to be an Elvis with some weight on him lol but lost the nose.. oh well part of doing this I spoz

Hope I am doing things fairly proper

WillyWog
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

poor noseless Elvis has a lot of good hair anyway
    Herb

Comment

And the learning experience begins . I think you're off to a good start, save these, you'll want to look at them in the far future
      . . .JoeB

Comment

Nice body postures and shapes look fine. Keep experimenting and remember glue is a carver's friend.
        Bill
        Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Along with glue, there is "Quickwood" for a rebuild
          . . .JoeB

Comment

To bad about the nose. Pretty good anyway. You got some great tips along the way.

Comment

Hi all. THanks for the info.. Fix
              Quickwood etc.. I did not know this.. How would I go about repairing Probably too late now

Willywog

Comment

Willywog, I found Joe's suggested Quickwood on Amazon and bought a stick for myself. I'm sure JoeB can give you and others details on the use in amputated carvings. Eager to see proper use suggestions also.
                Bill

Comment

I don't know if this is the correct details, but it is how I use it. It is a two-part wood epoxy putty. It comes in a tube, with one one ingredient Ont the outside of the other. When I get ready to use some, I cut the amount I think I'm going to need for the job. Be sure to cut straight through the roll, That way you always get the right proportions. It is simply a matter of squeezing the two part together until it is one solid color. Then I either just molded it to the wood in the shape that I'm desiring, or sometimes I glue a pin in the point (the Nose) and mold around the pin. A tip, I spray a little water on my table and wet my molding tool in the water to smooth the surface, but be sure you mash the putty into the wood as tight as you can get it. I've never been able to get the exact amount of putty always got some left over, just roll it up into a little ball and sue it for a wife attention getter, like shot a spit wad.
                  . . .JoeB

Comment

Will your tools be able to cut it without damage, JoeB?
                    Bill

Comment

I don't really don't leave that much that needs to be carved off, but yes a blade will cut it, but I always strop after doing it. It does dry hard
                      . . .JoeB

Comment

Apoxy 03.JPG I, too, use a two-part epoxy. I use it so much that I buy a product called Apoxy and as I use it up, I put a wad of cling wrap in the top to exclude as much air as I can (keep it from drying out). I not only use it for repair but it is excellent for concealing insert joints. I always have some left over and use it to make talons and claws of differing sizes for future projects. It sands well; but, care must be taken in texturing and painting to blend it in. The bird foot is a wood frame. I then used Apoxy to make the crevices, bumps and talon.

Comment

Paul, is this stiff like putty once you get it mixed?
                          . . .JoeB

Comment

Working...
                          X