No announcement yet.

A journey into ship modelling.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carved the sheer of the hull today, keeping the deck curve in mind. Not only is the deck higher in the bow and stern than the middle, but it is higher in the center than near the edge, so water rolls off easly.

Bob
    Attached Files
    Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Got the deck marked for positions of the hatches and ladderways, and rib positions. Plenty of work to do now, just getting warmed up.

Bob
      Attached Files
      Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Looks great,...I gotta try one of these some day.

Comment

Spent today cutting Maple boards into thickness on the planer, then cutting the planks into strips on the band saw and then sanding the planks/strips smooth on the modellers drum sander. A lot of work to reduce full size planks into model scale planks. This material will be used to plank the deck, and is to scale 1:48, or 1/4" = 1'.

Bob cutting strips.jpgsanding strips.jpgplanks ready to install.jpg

Comment

Began planking the deck today, the Maple boards are a little harder than the Basswood I usually use, but I think the colour difference will be worth it. A slow process not to be rushed. I run a soft pencil lead along the edge of the planks to simulate the tar of the caulking between the planks.

Bob
            begin planking.jpgbegin planking deck.jpgbegin planking deck 2.jpg

Comment

Very interesting, Bob. The process steps and your narrative are great.
              Arthur

Comment

Work continues on planking the lower deck, plank by plank. It is a slow process but one I enjoy so much. It is wonderful to watch as the vessel takes shape, one piece at a time, from a primitive shape to a beautiful creation of a sailing ship. I especially like this vessel, it has historic significance to our country, being built in Quebec just before the English invasion. I happen to have a piece of rope from one of the ships in that fleet, she was lost on the way over until recently found by a fisherman/diver who discovered the wreck and recovered artifacts from it. HMS Invincible planking.jpgplanking 2.jpgplanking 3.jpgplanking 4.jpgplanking 5.jpg , 1758.

Comment

Got a lot of work done today, completed planking the deck, scraped the deck, began carving the deck details: riding bits, hatches, etc. Plenty to do yet, but enjoying the process.

Bob
                  deck details.jpgdeck details 2.jpgdeck details 3.jpgdeck details 4.jpg

Comment

That's really coming together nice, Bob. I'm looking forward to seeing this weekend's progress.

Jim

Comment

Spent the week-end drilling nail holes in the deck and inserting copper nails. I cut the heads off and then drive them home so they match the scale of the planking. A very slow process, but really adds to the detail.

Bob nailing deck.jpgnailing deck 2.jpgnailing deck 3.jpgprogress.jpg

Comment

Wow, Bob...amazing and enjoy following your progress. Your attention to details is envious. Sure wish I got this bug when younger...keep posting.
                        Bill
                        Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Wow! That's a lot of work and a lot of nails. I'd be cross-eyed and talking to myself in foreign dialects by the time I was done that. Heck of a job Bob.

Tinwood

Comment

Originally posted by Tinwood View Post
                            Wow! That's a lot of work and a lot of nails. I'd be cross-eyed and talking to myself in foreign dialects by the time I was done that. Heck of a job Bob.

Tinwood
                            I spent 4 hours this evening drilling and hammering nails, and I do speak in "tongues" after a while. My back gives out after a while, so lots of breaks. I keep hoping that I don't run out of nails though I am running low, I have two unopened packages left. May have to order more, as I have the upper deck to do yet.

Bob

Comment

As always bob, fascinating. I may not post every time, but I'm following along. I'm very intrigued!

Bob L

Comment

I am beginning to feel like one of the Elf's in Santa's workshop, tap, tap, tap! Plenty of nails being driven, and plenty more to go. This is still fun!

Bob progress.jpgdeck nailing.jpgdeck nailing 2.jpgdeck nailing 3.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X