No announcement yet.

A journey into ship modelling.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Began installing the main wales, they are a belt of thick planks around the hull of a ship, they acted as a belt to support the ribs. These are Pear wood, difficult but not impossible to steam bend. I enjoy planking the hull, a very satisfying part of the project.

Bob
    progress.jpg
    progress 2.jpg
    progress 3.jpg
    Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Work continues on the main wales, starboard side, building up thickness and installed an Ebony strake. Ebony is a very tough wood to work, but I believe the effect is worth the effort.

Bob
      progress.jpg
      progress 2.jpg
      progress 3.jpg
      progress 4.jpg
      Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Today I began planking the hull above the main wale, using Yellowheart wood, a bloody tough wood to be sure, hard to bend and hard to drive nails through even with pilot holes. But I believe the extra effort will be worth it.

Bob
        progress.jpg
        progress 2.jpg
        progress 3.jpg
        progress 4.jpg
        progress 5.jpg

Comment

Making progress on the upper hull planking, changed drill bits to a slightly larger size and now the nails go in easier. Leaving the Yellowheart in the steam box longer too so it bends easier. Learn more each day, even at my age and level of experience. This side of the hull is looking more like it should, plenty left to plank and then the other side to do. Then a million more details to do. Darn hull is soaking up these small nails like a sponge, they are getting expensive, small packages of 100 don't go far and I have to import them from a supplier in the US. Anyone who has some laying around that they are not using them, send them along. I can use several 1,000 more.

Bob
          progress.jpg
          progress 2.jpg
          progress 3.jpg
          progress 4.jpg

Comment

Outstanding job Bob. The ebony looks really nice. I am impressed with you patients and attention to detail.

Comment

Well it has been quite some time since I have been able to make some progress on my ship model. I had run out of brass nails. Can't fasten planks properly without them, and with money so tight, no way of getting any. That is until a friend of mine came to my rescue and ordered a bunch for me. God Bless friends, what would we do without them. So after receiving several hundred I got back to work and back at planking the hull.

Bob
              hull 1.jpg
              hull 2.jpg
              hull 3.jpg
              hull 4.jpg
              hull 5.jpg

Comment

Great job Bob such intricate work, i see why ship building can be so time consuming, but worth the time and effort.
                Mark N. Akers
                My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

Beautiful work.

Comment

Work continues on the planking, got the garboard strake installed this week, the plank at the very bottom by the keel, it will guide the planking from there up to the dounddown.

Bob
                    98266121_1151631821873061_4004075603492864000_n.jpg97549660_1151631875206389_5040653698250833920_n.jpg97995528_1151631845206392_2751038608784752640_n.jpg

Comment

Amazing work, Bob, and enjoy following the progress.
                      Bill
                      Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

After a couple of months of down time, just didn't feel like doing anything, I finally got my grove back and got back at carving and working on the ship model. Getting the hull planking done, row by row, glued and drilled and nailed in place. The wood is Pear.

Bob
                        108669585_1206134349756141_4486894299580869309_n.jpg110087543_1206134299756146_4389722608989989827_n.jpg115439062_1206134326422810_3691375495116011550_n.jpg110175818_1206134369756139_5489763134985297257_n.jpg

Comment

Hi Bob, very intricate work and looking great . Bob with your Craftsmanship on Ship Building, forgive me for asking but I have got to ask , what is the Price Range of a Finished Ship ? Gona be a Bute . Merle

Comment

That is a lot of very intricate work. looking just great.

Comment

Congrats with getting back in the groove. I guess the Summer doldrums gets to everybody once in a while. Ship's looking great. Thank you for sharing!

Bob L

Comment

Great Stuff! A lot of fellow travelers here......https://modelshipworld.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X