A journey into ship modelling.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Merle Rice View Post
    Hi Bob, very intricate work and looking great . Bob with your Craftsmanship on Ship Building, forgive me for asking but I have got to ask , what is the Price Range of a Finished Ship ? Gona be a Bute . Merle
    A scratch built ship model like this would go in the $20,000 - $50,000 range. It will take several years to complete, but it is not often you find a client interested. Most model builders now a day build kits, there are few who build from original draughts or historically accurate drawings. A finished kit would go for considerably less, but kits sacrifice accuracy for production. Although, there are some new kits coming out of China that compare accurately with some scratch built models. A lot of factors come in to play when you price a model, building method, materials used, accuracy and amount of detail. My work is in no way a top of the line work, after 45 years, I'm still learning.

Bob
    Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Hi Bob, Thank You , After 45 yrs. and still learning . I believe that's what holds you interest . Never to Old to learn something and what a better place to learn than doing something that you Love to do . Don't sell yourself on your Finished Ship Model . Thanks again for Commenting . Merle

Comment

Fascinating!

Comment

Beautiful work. I can't even bring myself to finish a carved model of my old submarine, can't think of a simpler model to build.

Comment

Well I finally have the starboard side planked and have started the port side, main wale first and then the upper planking in Yellowheart. It feels really good to have the first side done, she is beginning to look like a real frigate now. It takes a lot of work to cut the planks to size, first on the bandsaw, then plane them and finally steam bend them to shape. There are over 32 rows of planks per side and average132 nails per row, so that is a lot of nails.

Bob

starboard side completed.jpg
            bow section.jpg
            stern section.jpg
            progress.jpg
            Attached Files
            Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Really enjoying the progress, Bob. Sure a complex work.
              Bill
              Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Wow! An enormous project! Impressive!
                Herb

Comment

Love the attention to detail. Very nice work !!!

Comment

End of August to the end of October, that's how long it has taken me to plank to port side, I finished it today. Now I can get busy with the fun stuff, detail. Carving every detail as accurate as possible, perfectly to scale, is a challenging task, but one of the reasons that I do this, I love what the detail can bring out in a model. The hull is fully planked in Pear wood with Ebony wales and Yellowheart upper works. I look forward when I can get some oil and varnish on the wood, to make the colours pop. With the hull planked you can see the unique tumblehome of this vessel, a feature of the French frigates of this period.

Stay tuned once the detail begins.

Bob

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 10 photos.

Comment

Superb, Bob, and thanks for posting the pictures.

Bill

Comment

That is one outstanding project. Coming along just great. Love the attention to detail.

Comment

Magnificent!

Comment

I continue to work on the ship model, progress is steady but slow. So many parts to carve and install, each plank and part is a project in itself. Two years since I first began and I can see a couple more in there before it's done. Working with Pear, Ebony and Yellowheart is a challenge but the visual effect well worth the extra effort. Hope you are enjoying the journey as much as I am.

Bob
                            136934742_1345103579192550_5207779008476675294_o.jpg 138265080_1350616011974640_8130755900023210505_o.jpg 137204818_1345103819192526_6918910399437220572_o.jpg 137035874_1345103692525872_4668849165271655484_o.jpg 136984980_1345103649192543_7070419333574239914_o.jpg 136370074_1345103762525865_7173687655386984570_o.jpg 137509702_1345103909192517_8681793120878412542_o.jpg

Comment

Well done Bob, and really enjoy the progress and you have more perseverance than I have.
                              Bill

Comment

Hi Bob, Looking good . What are your Plans for it when it is Completed ? It sure will Demand Attention where ever it's placed . Still watching with great interest . Merle

Comment

Working...
                                X