Before and After Diamond Willow Stick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Before and After Diamond Willow Stick

Thought someone would like to see how much you can cut off Diamond Willow and do no Harm to the Looks , in fact Improve the looks . The first Pict that Diamond was 3 1/2 " Wide and after Shaping it was 2 ". The Second Pict was 3 " and after Shaping 1 3/4 " . Cutting into the White Wood can reveal Dark Wood then different designs start to show up in different Shapes . Each one is Unique and cannot be Duplicated , that's the rewarding part , not knowing how the colors will be shaped . I hope the Pictures show what I was trying to explain . It's a Fun and Rewarding Wood maybe this will encourage someone to give it a try . Merle IMG_0001.JPGIMG_0003.JPGIMG_0003-001.JPGIMG_0004.JPG

Nice work Merle!

Comment

That's a great looking stick
      My Musical Instrument Website: http://www.ronmarr.com

Comment

Hi Eddy , Still need to Smooth out the whole Stick , that's about it till it gets my Eagle . After applying the Finish it will really show the Colors. Thanks Eddy . Merle

Comment

Hi Rontana , thank you for commenting . Merle

Comment

Nice sticks, Merle!

Claude
            My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/

My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/

My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

It sure is a beautiful wood and a natural for walking/canes sticks. I never heard of it until many years ago when a fellow showed me his stick and I was impressed. Was making mesquite sticks at the time.

Thanks for the pictures and illustrates the nice progression in making one. Always a great thing to follow and will make a nice tutorial for newer folks today and hopefully in the future. I know you will make the stick proud.
              Bill
              Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Hi 807 , Diamond Willow sure makes a difference in a Stick or Cane . I thought someone would like to see just how much you can remove and still have a good looking Piece . The Colors are Pleasing to my Eyes and to expose them isn't hard , another reason I like Diamond Willow . Thanks again for your Comments . Merle

Comment

Cleaned and sanded, Merle's work is typical of the beauty that you can reveal in diamond willow.
                  It takes a lot of effort to get there.There's never 2 the same, like snowflakes.

The willow stems get infected with a mold, a fungus, where the earlier twigs used to stick out. That makes the wood grow funny for years to come.
                  When you find one stick with diamonds, chances are that all of the willows in that "patch" are also diamond.

Dry, DW has better compression breaking strength than bone. That means that a good stick, maybe 1.5" diameter, is safe to lean on.
                  I walk with 3 different DW canes that I bought from a DW shop in my village, will get pix when I get home some day.
                  Brian T

Comment

Hi Brian , looking forward in seeing your DW Canes . It's Beautiful Wood and you covered it quite well , Thanks . Are you on a Vacation for the Summer ? Merle

Comment

No,Merle. Just hanging in there to get serious abdominal artery bypass surgery done and a toe amputation to top it all off.
                      Can't stay home and commute. You can imagine how much I wish that I could do that.
                      Brian T

Comment

Hi Brian , Dam Brian sounds like you are going to have a Ball . Prayers coming your way for a Quick recovery . Keep us informed on your progress . As you said " Hang in their " . Merle

Comment

I hope to get my other DW canes brought in to the city today. Maybe get pictures of all three of them. Friends shutting down my house.
                          I felt I had to let the house keeper go, enormous discouragement right there. The gardener knows what to do outside.
                          The pickers will harvest the grape crop without my help.

You good people can hold my interest with the profusion of new work that I see these days. Much appreciated.
                          Brian T

Comment

Certainly hope for a speedy recovery Brian. Get well soon and best wishes.

Tinwood

Comment

Working...
                            X