Never got the request or the money :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never got the request or the money :)

A couple of weeks ago we were at the som's place to do some electric etching on a 4' sq coffee table of a friend of his. When we got through I ask if he was satisfied,~ more than satisfied, but I'm wondering when I'm going to get my bottle stopper∙∙∙∙∙∙I had no idea what he was talking about. Another friend of Mikes, the son, had seen the Irishman bottle stopper I had made & Pat does a lot of electrical work for me around the house, so I said sure.

Anyway, Don saw Pat's bottle stopper and wanted to know if I could make him one also since he was Irish. Don told sure, & he only charged me $25.00. Don gave him the money & told him to ask me to make him one. Well know these boys, I think maybe the nectar of the gods was flowing well that day. & I never got the order and I think Pat pocketed the $25.

Anyway, I finished up Don's today. But I'm amazed at what people think a carving is worth, ther is $10 worth of wood, the paint & ±25 hrs of time in this piece. That means my time is worth ± 60¢ an hour, This is my I don't commission carvings.

Anyway, he is about 7" tall made froma block of 3" x 4" x 12" basswood painted with acrylic paints. I've also included the coffee table that got etched.

As always C&C encouraged and welcomed.

Attached Files
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    . . .JoeB

Great work, Joe. I particularly like that coffee table.

I've always been amazed at what people think handmade items are worth. It's the reason I largely stopped making guitars (except for the odd piece I give away to friends). Some resonator models I did included a minimum of $300 in parts and probably 60 or 70 hours of labor. But, since a Chinese reso could be had for $200 (with free shipping) that's what people thought they should pay.

Not complaining . . . since I enjoyed building the stuff . . . but I have always found people's assumptions and perceptions sort of interesting.

These days I find carving much more fun . . . especially since I'm not seeking to make money from it.

Comment

Nice work on the bottle stopper, Joe!

Claude
      My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
      My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
      My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
      My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Nice work on both, Joe. Very good detail work on the stopper and excellent age look. The table burning looks great and it seems you have mastered your "equipment" for it.

Bill
        Living among knives and fire.

http://www.texaswoodartist.com

Comment

Thanks, pleased but never satisfied, I believe is the old saying
          . . .JoeB

Comment

Nice job on the stopper and the coffee table. Interesting story too! LOL! I know what you mean about the costs of carving. That's mostly why I don't sell my work. I'd rather keep my carvings than sell them but I love to give them to my relatives. I tip my hat though to those carvers who can be productive and make some bucks on the deal. They have to be good to make it profitable.
            Terry

Comment

Hi Joe , Wow !! on all the pieces , Your got the Electric Etching down to a Science . Think it as Someone will enjoy your Effort in your Hobby and maybe get some Satisfaction their . Pieces to be Proud of . Merle

Comment

beautiful etching and a fine stopper, Joe
                Herb

Comment

Terry~Thank you, My sentiments exactly
                  Merle~Thank you, The etching has a mind of its own, trying to control it is like trying to control your wive, just hope they enjoy
                  Herb~Thank you,
                  . . .JoeB

Comment

Love the effects and design on the coffee table!
                    . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

Thanks, Di,
                      . . .JoeB

Comment

Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
                        A couple of weeks ago we were at the som's place to do some electric etching on a 4' sq coffee table of a friend of his. When we got through I ask if he was satisfied,~ more than satisfied, but I'm wondering when I'm going to get my bottle stopper∙∙∙∙∙∙I had no idea what he was talking about. Another friend of Mikes, the son, had seen the Irishman bottle stopper I had made & Pat does a lot of electrical work for me around the house, so I said sure.

Anyway, Don saw Pat's bottle stopper and wanted to know if I could make him one also since he was Irish. Don told sure, & he only charged me $25.00. Don gave him the money & told him to ask me to make him one. Well know these boys, I think maybe the nectar of the gods was flowing well that day. & I never got the order and I think Pat pocketed the $25.

Anyway, I finished up Don's today. But I'm amazed at what people think a carving is worth, ther is $10 worth of wood, the paint & ±25 hrs of time in this piece. That means my time is worth ± 60¢ an hour, This is my I don't commission carvings.

Anyway, he is about 7" tall made froma block of 3" x 4" x 12" basswood painted with acrylic paints. I've also included the coffee table that got etched.

As always C&C encouraged and welcomed.
                        I never expect nor do I ever accept compensation for anything that I make. Expectations lead to disappointment and hard feelings, and no one can afford to compensate a carver for what is really put into a piece of work.

Comment

After being burned a couple of times I refuse to do any commission work for anything. If they like something I have done they may buy it if I choose to sell it. Something about 2 bad apples spoiling the whole bunch iirc....

Comment

Eddie, I guess the thing that kind of put a bur under my blanket was, that someone collected money for my efforts, and never passed it on or told me about the obligation of doing the carving, just the principle of it. Anyway it is gone and setting on the shelve, see if he comes by to pick it up, or just some more chin music
                            . . .JoeB

Comment

I like the coffee table and the bottle topper, good work on both.

Comment

Working...
                              X