Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aspen update

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Aspen update

    D8330E90-7ACA-49F7-9A0B-7E8E8ABAE886.jpeg 20D06AC6-79EA-4D89-ABDF-2752600F68DF.jpeg
    Last edited by Nebraska; 10-10-2019, 06:34 PM.
    Ed
    Living in a pile of chips.
    https://m.facebook.com/pg/CentralNeb...ernal&mt_nav=0

  • #2
    Hi Nebraska
    Great work, I gave never tried to carve anything that big,have you got enough in the log to make this life size
    Bruce

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by scotia carver View Post
      Hi Nebraska
      Great work, I gave never tried to carve anything that big,have you got enough in the log to make this life size
      Bruce

      It’s about 10” tall and will be mounted on a base as if he is wading in a river.
      Last edited by Nebraska; 10-10-2019, 06:53 PM.
      Ed
      Living in a pile of chips.
      https://m.facebook.com/pg/CentralNeb...ernal&mt_nav=0

      Comment


      • #4
        Hi Nebraska, he looks badda--, and the knot on the shoulder is something special.
        Just great!

        Shawna

        Comment


        • #5
          Nice job so far. Will it be painted or natural finish?
          Joe

          Comment


          • #6
            Wow. LOVE the wood and am anxious to see it all finished. Going to be quite a striking piece.

            Comment


            • #7
              Nice job on your fisherman. IF you decide to paint, I would only apply a really LIGHT wash of color. If it was mine, I'd only apply an oil type finish. But it's not mine so finish as you will.

              Tinwood

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by JoeVM View Post
                Nice job so far. Will it be painted or natural finish?
                Thanks for looking. Natural finish can’t imagine painting over that beautiful wood. I have used different colors of stain on projects like these walleye but I don’t plan to ever paint a carving. Just my preference.


                6B65F46D-38A0-4F87-B31D-826B269A8295.jpeg
                Ed
                Living in a pile of chips.
                https://m.facebook.com/pg/CentralNeb...ernal&mt_nav=0

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Sammy66 View Post
                  Wow. LOVE the wood and am anxious to see it all finished. Going to be quite a striking piece.
                  Hope to boil and bend some wood today shaping the pole and net frame.
                  Ed
                  Living in a pile of chips.
                  https://m.facebook.com/pg/CentralNeb...ernal&mt_nav=0

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Tinwood View Post
                    Nice job on your fisherman. IF you decide to paint, I would only apply a really LIGHT wash of color. If it was mine, I'd only apply an oil type finish. But it's not mine so finish as you will.

                    Tinwood
                    Thanks TW for taking the time to comment. I use a lot of different finishing processes but none include paint I tried that once and while others tell me it looks great. I still think about grabbing some sandpaper every time I look at it.

                    6EA40BFD-BF7E-4B7A-B6FC-37AA85C78BAC.jpeg
                    Ed
                    Living in a pile of chips.
                    https://m.facebook.com/pg/CentralNeb...ernal&mt_nav=0

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      The wood really added to your fine job of carving, The contrast in the wood is unbelievable. Ya if it were me I would something like Watco Danish Oil~Natural, just to bring out the contrast, even more, Well done sir.
                      . . .JoeB

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
                        The wood really added to your fine job of carving, The contrast in the wood is unbelievable. Ya if it were me I would something like Watco Danish Oil~Natural, just to bring out the contrast, even more, Well done sir.
                        The wood was trying to flake on the finer details so I gave it a lite coat of light pure tung oil. I got his fly pole boiled and bent today but need to go to plan “B” for the landing net. My final sanding will be a tung oil slurry with 400 grit paper. Once the oil is dry I’ll top it off with oil based satin poly. But hell I’ve still have to make him a leaping trout.
                        Ed
                        Living in a pile of chips.
                        https://m.facebook.com/pg/CentralNeb...ernal&mt_nav=0

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Awesome work there Nebraska! And the walleyes, wow! I’ve got to assume you enjoy fishing.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Mike WNC View Post
                            Awesome work there Nebraska! And the walleyes, wow! I’ve got to assume you enjoy fishing.
                            Thank for taking the time to look and respond. Grew up in Colorado, dad put a fly line in my hand before I was in 2nd grade. So yes do enjoy fishing. You can’t see it in the photo but when I did the walleye I hollowed the mouth out clear though the gill plates. Just seemed the thing to do.
                            Ed
                            Living in a pile of chips.
                            https://m.facebook.com/pg/CentralNeb...ernal&mt_nav=0

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Today I made a net.

                              3B2C8129-73CD-428A-A9FE-4FF761439283.jpeg
                              Ed
                              Living in a pile of chips.
                              https://m.facebook.com/pg/CentralNeb...ernal&mt_nav=0

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X