Trying a different way to use up Scrap Pieces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying a different way to use up Scrap Pieces

Cut Walnut , Basswood , Oak , Cherry , and Mahogany ,into 1 1/2 " Squares and Drilled a 1/2 " Hole in center . Gluing a 7/16 " Dowel up thru the center , that gives a lot of Room for Glue . Don't know how it will turn out , but has my interest . Merle IMG_0012.JPGIMG_0013.JPG

You can bulk up the dowel by wrapping it with cotton string. That mixes well with the glue.
    Common stunt to get a fishing rod blank to snug up to the cork rings for the handle.
    Brian T

Comment

Hi Brian , I'll keep that in Mind . Thanks . Merle

Comment

Merle, I'm guessing that you will make a nice stick out of this piece. I have seen before where a group will each carve something on each block and then put it all together like this.
        Joe

Comment

It will be a nice piece and like the use of darker and lighter woods...kind of a "zebra" effect.
          Bill
          Living among knives and fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian T View Post
            You can bulk up the dowel by wrapping it with cotton string. That mixes well with the glue.
            Common stunt to get a fishing rod blank to snug up to the cork rings for the handle.
            I' m trying to visualize what you mentioned but my brain can't see the idea in the mind's eye. Please explain for us older dense headed folks.
            Bill
            Living among knives and fire.

Comment

What a great idea. This is going to be neat!

Comment

Hi Joe , now that you mention it I remember seeing that , that was a FEW years back , good memory Joe . I drilled the Holes with the Grain to be like a Stick would be for added Strength . Don't know how I'll shape it yet , maybe gnarly . Fits my Character . Ha,Ha. Thanks Joe ... Merle

Comment

Hi Ron , if this turns out save your Scrap pieces for future use .I feel it got your wheels turning and you will be giving it a try . It's a good way to express your Imagination . Thanks for commenting and good luck on your new Stick . Ha,Ha. Merle

Comment

OK. There's a gap between the diameter of the wooden dowel and the diameter of the drilled hole.
                    Wrap the dowel with a layer of cotton string, just enough to mostly fill the void.

I've got some thick cotton string and some skinny butcher's cotton string ( for roasts, rouladin etc).
                    I'll pick the one that best fills the gap in a single wrapping layer.

Now goop up the rod & string with glue then push each block down over that.
                    Brian T

Comment

IMG_0490.JPGIMG_0491.JPGIMG_0492.JPGIMG_0495.JPG
                      here are a few shots of such a stick our carving club put together, donated to the local area show, for them to raffle off. called a friendship cane. each carver submitted a 2 x2 x3 block carved.
                      Denny

photos at........ http://wiscoden.jimdo.com/

Comment

Hi Denny, I knew I saw that somewhere . Mine is not going to be any Figures , just blended Wood Blocks of different Type of Woods . Thanks for the Pictures . Merle

Comment

I really like your idea and am excited to see the finished project!

Comment

Hi Sammy , I only Glue about 5 or 6 pieces at a time , I want to be sure all surfaces make good contact and plenty of Glue . Sure hope it doesn't fall apart when shaping it . Thanks for showing your interest . Merle

Comment

Working...
                            X