A different concept for doing face from Jim Redhawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A different concept for doing face from Jim Redhawk

I've had Jim's way of doing an Apache head on my shelves for a while. Decided to give it a go. It is out of Alaskan Cottonwood, 5" H x 3" wide. the bark is a little wider. Finished with Watco Teak Oil. After taking the pictures will probably do a little more work on him

If interested www.redhawkoriginals.com
    As usual, C&C encouraged and welcomed
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    . . .JoeB

Well done carving, Joe. The head grain is outstanding and appropriate. A plain carving with appropriate detail...nicely accomplished artistic balance. I like it a lot!
    Bill
    Living among knives and fire.

Comment

very cool, Joe
      Herb

Comment

Beautiful work Joe! The Watco sure made the grain stand out. Very nice!

Comment

Well done Joe. Looks great. In all the time I have been carving I have not carved Cotten wood dark. Not sure why just never had any I guess.
          We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
          https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Hi Joe , you never cease to Amaze me by trying different Projects , and doing them successfully . Nice clean Cuts on the Detailing . Merle

Comment

Bill, Thanks, just following Jin tutorial, to me it was an interesting experience, will go back a review it to get some of the finer points in my mind.

Herb, Thanks

Mike, Thanks, It is the first time I used the Watco Teak Oil, pick up on the idea from Denny

Randy, Thanks, CW is an enjoyment to carve, you ave to keep your foot off the gas because of it so easy to carve you can lose detail.

Merle, Thanks, You sound like my wife, OH, you were talking about carving

Again, Thanks, for the kind comments.

Getting ready to do a little remodeling on him now∙∙∙∙
              . . .JoeB

Comment

looks good Joe. gonna make more ?! along with my teak oil I stir in one or two teaspoons of colored stain,, golden oak.
                it looks like about a 4 to one ratio.
                Denny

photos at........ http://wiscoden.jimdo.com/

Comment

Denny, Thanks, Not for right now, Seems like I've always got to be turning to something new, but I come back
                  . . .JoeB

Comment

Well here is the makeover. The other carving reminded me of a Latin lady sing from back in the '50s, you know the one with the big hat with fruit all over it. What do you think, did it help?
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.
                    . . .JoeB

Comment

Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
                      Well here is the makeover. The other carving reminded me of a Latin lady sing from back in the '50s, you know the one with the big hat with fruit all over it. What do you think, did it help?
                      Carmen Miranda ? Every time her name comes to mind and seeing the tall head. Thought was Cuban but doesn't matter. Maybe because I saw her on Ricky and Lucy show one day. And the movie on TV.

Comment

i would need the two pictures side by side to see any differences from the most recent one you posted.
                        what i am seeing is looking good.
                        Denny

Comment

Basically just trim the top of his head, thanks for looking & commenting
                          . . .JoeB

Comment

I see it plainly now that u point out the area to me. i definitely like the recent one much better.
                            Denny

Comment

Working...
                            X