Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next fish in Aspen

Started another fish in aspen.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Looking like another nice one, Ed. Certainly, quality work and you sure are giving aspen a fine name.
    Bill
    Living among knives and fire.

Comment

Ed, I enjoy watching your WIP's come together. I'll be staying tuned in. Looks like some nice wood grain in this piece!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike WNC View Post
        Ed, I enjoy watching your WIP's come together. I'll be staying tuned in. Looks like some nice wood grain in this piece!
        Mike,

I will try to provide some semi instructive photos this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Nebraska View Post

Mike,

I will try to provide some semi instructive photos this time.
          Excellent. And I'll bombard you with questions!
          So how do you rough out your carving, power tools, rasps?

Mike

Comment

Excellent. And I'll bombard you with questions!
            So how do you rough out your carving, power tools, rasps?

Mike
            With a block of wood I draw an over head and side view on the block and cut out on the bandsaw. I use painter’s tape to reattach the sawed off bits so it can be square when cutting form the other perspective. (Hope that made sense) I leave it thick in the area of the tail fin so I can glue to a piece I use to attach to the vice.

Buy the way the I made the homemade vise for one of our teenage carvers who decide he didn’t want it If your interested I could mail it to you.
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Makes perfect sense. I don't have a bandsaw but I do have a jigsaw and some longish blades. I think I can manage a rough cutout.

It would be great if you wanted to pass on the homemade vise to me. I would certainly put it to use and I'd be happy to reimburse you for postage/shipping. I'll PM you my address.

Mike

Comment

Makes perfect sense. I don't have a bandsaw but I do have a jigsaw and some longish blades. I think I can manage a rough cutout.

It would be great if you wanted to pass on the homemade vise to me. I would certainly put it to use and I'd be happy to reimburse you for postage/shipping. I'll PM you my address.

Mike
                Darn Mike WNC. If you lived close,, I have a smaller band saw.. very inexpensive to you, I just got a bigger one. from a 4.5" jaw/9" to a 5.75" jaw /14".

I am in Oregon
                Chuck
                Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

Comment

With my cutout attached to the vice it’s time for some serious pencil work. The spinal curve is pretty much established by the lines you choose when doing your cutout so reestablish it with your pencil on the top and bottom. Using the transparency draw in the profile. If you intend your trout to have an arched back tilt it the nose up or down slightly and mark wood from dorsal fin to the nose then tilt similarly and mark from dorsal fine to tail. I usually put in a gill line (1/4” behind the diagram on 10” fish) just to remind me where the head is. I draw an additional line parallel to the top line about 1/3 of the way down, this will be the wide point of the body now begin rounding between the top center line and the wide body point and similarly from the center of the bottom. Look at lots of fish picture while doing this.
                  BAB6CFA2-AE4C-4B75-BFEB-0AD8B80C80F5.jpegEFA0F874-D5C9-4C3A-AD18-54E8FB7929EB.jpeg1D30574E-440D-45A7-9387-14402E6F3586.jpeg

Comment

Originally posted by NoDNA View Post

Darn Mike WNC. If you lived close,, I have a smaller band saw.. very inexpensive to you, I just got a bigger one. from a 4.5" jaw/9" to a 5.75" jaw /14".

I am in Oregon
                    Thanks for thinking of me Chuck. Too many miles between us to make it worthwhile. I moved to NC from OR. I lived out near Glide, east of Roseburg.
                    Which bandsaw did you upgrade to?

Mike

Comment

Looking real good Ed. Will you be using your new vise on this one?

Comment

Looking real good Ed. Will you be using your new vise on this one?
                        No the little one. I made this for so thing to do while in Baton Rouge this winter but then ended up stating on them at the library going to end up with 5 or 6 of them. Won’t use new vice until we get back and start on next fisherman. When you do the cutout remember to save cuttings to make fins.

Comment

Save the cutoffs... got it! I still haven't ordered any wood, I think I'll do that right now.
                          Mike

Comment

Once the body is shaped I start adding and refining details. Most of the work on the head is started with a 15/3 V tool.

43D66035-20E2-4930-BBC8-C784AE7D0529.jpegA51DE727-6470-448D-92CE-B451BC07DD4E.jpeg10C23D82-8012-470B-BEF4-A100FD1B2857.jpeg3C5BC7F6-9284-4423-AB0A-EF16CBF058FC.jpeg

Comment

Dorsal fin

991996DC-D726-40F3-BD86-B3643C15F03E.jpeg
                              clamp in place mark cutout
                              7A672B58-B825-4B8F-BCB9-45E26C4A6E79.jpegD4F76E7C-437E-4760-83C4-DC4A4FF6A8E9.jpeg
                              cutout glue slot
                              B0E90293-8F4F-46EB-B080-4377607100C4.jpeg970C3D1B-A057-4114-BB48-6E6FDEC0CAB7.jpeg
                              anal fin is the same process as dorsal fin. None of the fins get glue until the head and tail fin are finished.
                              Last edited by Nebraska; 01-01-2020, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X