No announcement yet.

Hawaiian owl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A landing owl still has the head and butt forward, but the talons are not spread as far as when about to strike. Wings and tail are in full flap mode (aircraft speak...). I suspect the head is forward to better see what the owl is aiming at with it's feet, and the rear end is forward to get the talons out where they are needed.

The "cruising" attitude where the feet are trailing behind is a lot nicer looking to me (your original photo)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Claude; 01-05-2022, 04:56 PM.
    My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
    My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
    My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
    My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Originally posted by Claude View Post
      A landing owl still has the head and butt forward, but the talons are not spread as far as when about to strike. Wings and tail are in full flap mode (aircraft speak...). I suspect the head is forward to better see what the owl is aiming at with it's feet, and the rear end is forward to get the talons out where they are needed.

The "cruising" attitude where the feet are trailing behind is a lot nicer looking to me (your original photo)
      Tell you the truth I have no idea the end result when it comes to my work. I agree but this will be a 2-dimensional wall hanging...he will be literary cut in half so lots of modifications will have to be made for balance to hang. I can not have much frontal weight on him on the wall. Not only that I do not want him to look too mean which adds to a full attack mode. I just want to show the feet...perhaps ....something to ponder. So.... I will have to do artistic modification in order to just have a frontal view. If that will even work, not sure???...I want the legs out a little, perhaps he is just starting to unfold his legs out? will have to draw this out as having the legs out may not look right, so this one issue will be a lot like the dragon project..., it will be a wait and see, that is if... if it even works which is highly questionable. . not sure...about this. Although if his legs are folded against the body I could carve it all as one piece perhaps. Lots of pondering on this one.
      . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

Originally posted by DiLeon View Post
        We are having a major pandemic surge and things are closing down by the day. Due to the fact we do not have the nurses for the hospital ...., over a thousand out sick right now. I will have to be extra careful I do not hurt myself. The workshop is a great place to hide the next few months. OK almost two years and we are back....and carving. Right now chasing mosquitos out of the shop and setting the shop up to do this project. I have been painting pictures and notice it may take me a while to get back into SHAPE for mallet work. Next step is find my notes and see what the plan was... hopefully, it was written down. smile. Jack was asking about the finish.... I may stain or I may burn ....undecided at this point as it will take some test work. Right now I have to shape it....and doing rough out is not a fun part and I do not like it..... so I plan to be Rockin in the shop with some ABBA and other music.
        ABBA,,, OH MG WOW. What a gal!
        Chuck
        Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

Comment

Originally posted by NoDNA View Post

ABBA,,, OH MG WOW. What a gal!
          Great mallet pounding music......

Comment

Hi Di
            What a stunning bird I just love it but I do have a "THING " for owls.Very best of luck with the project.

For a BIG project, If it starts to feel overwhelming If it were me I would treat each wing , tail, head, body and legs as it they are a carving in their own right. I find it helps the head to get past the " what on earth am i doing" thing that I find can creep up on you on these big jobs.

Really looking forward to seeing this one develop.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn Jennings View Post
              Hi Di
              What a stunning bird I just love it but I do have a "THING " for owls.Very best of luck with the project.

For a BIG project, If it starts to feel overwhelming If it were me I would treat each wing , tail, head, body and legs as it they are a carving in their own right. I find it helps the head to get past the " what on earth am i doing" thing that I find can creep up on you on these big jobs.

Really looking forward to seeing this one develop.
              The thing about me, is I plan, then let go of the plan as always there are often major changes and ideas as I work. The only time I get stressed is when something does not work or something needs to be different and I have no idea what to do next. It is normal and I know it is part of the process especially with bigger projects. I always find a way....even when I can not conceive it. Go with the flow, I am going to hit bad issues and work it out. I am good with letting the creative juices flow ... worst times were art school where they took your work and threw it in the trash can or destroyed it by circling all the errors with a black marker....no chance of saving it ...and you picked yourself up and start over as you had to make the grade and you had to finish the work on time. It was a hard come back, tons of students quit. I did not. I had to laugh about what am I doing...I feel that way most of the journey and at times amazed when I make it to the end.

Right now I am pondering the direction of the legs as Claude remarked I will have to decide now and not later. I am moving more back to laying them back but will see? Right now the plan is to shape the wings....as they slightly bend at each joint....I will work on both wings at the same time as they need to look the same in shape and pattern. With messing with the body and tail feathers off and on.

Comment

I had forgotten you meant to do it as a 2D (more of a relief carving, I think). I found this one - the legs are held back and it looks a lot less threatening... I think it could be done as a relief carving.

​ ​​​​​​​
                My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
                My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
                My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
                My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

​ today we are going to start the round out of the owl wing using the internet Figure 3 from Anatomical, morphometrical and biomechanical studies of owl anatomy measurement...this is the top of the wing the shape of owl wing. I need this form in order to start the top thickness of the wing. Without these anatomical measurements, the owl will not look good. I will be using graphs like this to make my owl wings. Of course, the morphometrical measurement will be modified but this is where I start. I was taught in school you do not know the anatomical structure you can not make it right...even if you go totally modern on it. I lost my original notes...so I am going to paste them on here for now. so the new ones do not get lost....age has an incredible way to miss place things. PLus brain fog from fibromyalgia does not help...LOL
                  Last edited by DiLeon; 01-07-2022, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Great mallet pounding music......
                    HAHAHaaa. YA gotta love it.
                    Chuck

Comment

​ today we are going to start the round out of the owl wing using the internet Figure 3 from Anatomical, morphometrical and biomechanical studies of owl anatomy measurement...this is the top of the wing the shape of owl wing. I need this form in order to start the top thickness of the wing. Without these anatomical measurements, the owl will not look good. I will be using graphs like this to make my owl wings. Of course, the morphometrical measurement will be modified but this is where I start. I was taught in school you do not know the anatomical structure you can not make it right...even if you go totally modern on it. I lost my original notes...so I am going to paste them on here for now. so the new ones do not get lost....age has an incredible way to miss place things. PLus brain fog from fibromyalgia does not help...LOL
                      That's aircraft wing building, greater lift from the center and flaps down for rise. OHMGossh . That was 62 years ago, now most aircraft don't need too much except on take off and landing. BUT I like the concept, I have an Eagle to do, hmmnnn ?
                      Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by NoDNA View Post

That's aircraft wing building, greater lift from the center and flaps down for rise. OHMGossh . That was 62 years ago, now most aircraft don't need too much except on take off and landing. BUT I like the concept, I have an Eagle to do, hmmnnn ?
                        Got it on the anatomy for owl wings....it kept coming up....so figure they knew what they were talking about????

Comment

Got it on the anatomy for owl wings....it kept coming up....so figure they knew what they were talking about????
                          Yeah , nowadays this is just a bit over my paygrade.
                          Cheers.
                          Chuck

Comment

eyes-great-horned-owl-intense.jpg.jpgI have decided that the eyes are the most important and first thing you will look at. I am going to make the eyes using a process various youtube videos on how to make your own glass-like eyes using UV resin for jewelry. Since I have never done this before it will be interesting how many I have to make before I get the eyes like this. Materials are ordered and should come in soon. I could buy glass eyes but they do not fit the owl, which is in the process of being carved right now.....and doing major research to decide form...not easy at this point. But we always figure that out.

Comment

Owl is blocked out but notice mistake all ready but can be carved out. I have been marking all sides with measurements and lines. Plus noted think I am going to do some drawings on this one....which takes time but is much needed. I can although start the rough out part. The photo is the block shape of the owl and some of the markings ...all of this will be carved away. I used a gel pin to mark my lines. This will be a wall hanging. Still have no idea about the legs but they will be folded in for the flight. Figure if I screw them up I can cut them off and do an add-on. Owl is full size 37.5 inches wingspan.

IMG_0152.jpg

Comment

Hi Di
                                I can't see the depth of the piece and you will need a lot of depth to get the coming into land pose with the legs and head forward. What does the side profile look like ??

Comment

Working...
                                X