"Butterflies Are Free"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Butterflies Are Free"

One of my wife's hobbies is planting flowers and shrubs that attract butterflies. She spends a lot of time working on her hobby , enjoying the fruits of her labor. She's like an over-protective mother when she finds newly laid butterfly eggs on her parsley and milk weed. I wanted to do something to bring her love of butterflies into the house. So I made her this butterfly plaque. I'd bought a couple of 10"x 14" basswood blanks quite some time ago and still had one stashed away. The lettering is wood-burned and then painted. The plaque itself is stained with an water based oak gel stain and finished with three coats of water based satin poly sanded in between coats with a sheet of brown paper bag. The butterflies were each carved separately from patterns I found using Google. Each one has also been wood-burned to give it texture and then painted over with acrylic. I added sparkles so that when they catch the light from different angles the butterflies stand out. Each has 3 or 4 coats of water based gloss poly as a finish. I let my wife dictate where and how she wanted each butterfly placed and then I glued them to the plaque with Type II Gorilla glue. Sorry about the photographic quality of the pictures. It's a very old camera.

Very thoughtful.

Comment

I really like the sparkle effect. Great looking wall hanging, looks like it was a fun project to do.
      . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

Brings to mind, we went on a cruise on the east coast of Mexico years ago. While on a pyramid up on top and a beautiful flowered tree, next to us, there must have been a thousand butterflies not ten feet away from us. So enthralled ,, not one photo.. But Eddy-Smiles that is a great project and reminder..
        Chuck
        Last edited by NoDNA; 01-10-2020, 12:05 PM. Reason: top
        Chuck
        Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

Comment

Very nice, and what a thoughtful gift.
          Mike

Comment

Very nice, Eddy, and quite thoughtful!
            Arthur

Comment

A very nice gesture and nice plaque, Eddy. Very thoughtful. I actually recognize some of the butterflies from the ones I collected as a small kid. Nice reproductions.
              Bill
              Living among knives and fire.

Comment

Nice Eddie! Butterflies are really needed right now with this Winter.

Thanks
                Bob L

Comment

Hi Eddy , Great Job Carving, Detailing , and Painting . Didn't you do Butterflies for your Wife years ago , a different Design ? Great Eye Appeal also . Merle

Comment

Boy with this plaque, I bet you got an extra serving a supper, well done sir
                    . . .JoeB

Comment

Very nice Eddie. Carving and paint.
                      We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
                      https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Well done!

Comment

Originally posted by Dileon View Post
                          I really like the sparkle effect. Great looking wall hanging, looks like it was a fun project to do.
                          Dileon.... It was fun and I learned a little bit about painting and shading. I've used watercolor paints on paper in the past but have done little with acrylics except to apply in a normal manner. My painting is still very amateurish but I'm pleased with the way they turned out.

Comment

Originally posted by Merle Rice View Post
                            Hi Eddy , Great Job Carving, Detailing , and Painting . Didn't you do Butterflies for your Wife years ago , a different Design ? Great Eye Appeal also . Merle
                            Merle... You've got a great memory! Yes I have made a couple of exterior signs for her but they were strictly surface wood-burning. This is my first attempt at giving them dimension.

Comment

Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
                              Boy with this plaque, I bet you got an extra serving a supper, well done sir
                              Joe! At my age and health food is the biggest motivator and she did bake an apple pie and make some apple crisp! You know the saying....

Comment

Working...
                              X