Angel Wing Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angel Wing Project

7.5 " x 6.5 " x 1.5 ", Mahogany , My interest has developed in doing Angel Wings and these 2 helped to Spiked my Interest . Being 1.5 " thick a lot of Wood has to be removed and a lot to work with . Start making Dirt today . Merle IMG_0001.JPG

Merle - Are the borders (edges) of the feathers raised or incised? Or, how is the "whiteness" applied?

Comment

Hi Phil , The Whiteness on the Pictures is the Pattern on Paper. I don't think I'll make them White being that they are Mahogany and might look nice Plane Wood . The Edges are incised , but now that you mentioned it they could be made either way . Mine are going to be incised , ( Easier ).
      Roughed out the Bottom Pattern this afternoon . Tomorrow I'll rough out the other one . I think it's a good Subject and Challenging . The Daughters claimed them already . They satisfy easy .
      Thanks for showing your interest . Merle

Comment

Merle, are they to be mounted, and if so, how and on what?
        Arthur

Comment

Hi Arthur , I think they will look a lot better mounted on a Back of some kind but not sure for now . Once I get them finished and see just how they look finished and what color they turn out to be and then I'll decide what to do . I have Walnut , Cherry and Mahogany Boards , don't think I'll use Diamond Willow though. Ha,Ha. I will say that these 2 Pieces will leave room for my Imagination to work . Fun Projects . Thanks Arthur . Merle

Comment

These are going to be interesting, I look forward to seeing them come together.
            1-1/2 " thick, what if you sliced 'em horizontal, 3/4" thick... then you can make twice as many. I'm probably missing something here, carry on...

Mike

Comment

Dang merle, these carvings are great, I really like the way the show in the pictures, the white really makes them p[op to me. My 2ยข
              . . .JoeB

Comment

You have inspired me Merle. I have some oval pieces of mahogany 1/2 inch thick and 3"long and 2 wide. I use them when I have do western stile belt buckles. Think the wings would make a pretty design for a plaque to fit on a necklace for my wife's birthday.

Went to print shop and made this pattern . Not sure about the heart. May be better with out it.
                angle w.jpg
                Last edited by Randy; 01-21-2020, 08:27 AM.
                We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
                https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

That is a neat image Randy
                  . . .JoeB

Comment

Hi Mike , Yes you could sice them in half but I wanted to have enough Wood to show off the Detailing more natural , at least that's my intention . Power Carving and Boy am I ever getting covered with Saw Dust . Thanks Mike ....... Merle

Comment

Hi Joe , the White is the Pattern glued onto the Wood . I have only cut out the Pattern on the Band Saw . They don't look like that now , a lot of Wood removed . Merle

Comment

Hi Randy , I think the Heart might look good if it were cut out . It would make it lighter and not distract from the Wings . Nice Design , Boy you are going for the Small Detailing . Carving Angel Wings might be a little Addictive . Take a look on internet at the different Designs . Merle

Comment

I understood I just said the white showed the wing off well, waiting for the finished wings
                          . . .JoeB

Comment

Hi Joe , the Bottom set is what I'm doing first ,some final Detailing and it should be done Carving .Sure makes a Mess Power Carving . Merle

Comment

Hi Randy , just heard from my Sister and she is going to put hers on a Chain for a Necklace . That is the other Wing that I made ,so it is a good idea using it for a Necklace . Merle

Comment

Working...
                              X