My First Spirit...suggestions welcome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Spirit...suggestions welcome

Here's my first one almost ready to stain (I guess) I'm toying between dark walnut or pine color. It's an old Pine fence post that I found, it measure 22 x 6 inches, I cut the post down the middle giving me 4 same pieces. Not sure wether to paint the eye balls or use the gouge.

Re: My First Spirit...suggestions welcome

You did a real nice job for your first one . My preference would be pine

Comment

Hi tucker1931, boy this is really nice for your first mountain man--keep up the good work. I like the pine color idea also as for the eyes--do you have a woodburner? If so, what I like to do is burn in the eyes here is an example of my mountain man http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...ntainman01.jpg there are some side views in this thread also.
      Kathy

Comment

kathy, your eyes look relly great, I like that a lot better than cutting holes with a gouge or for that matter just dabbing a black eye ball. THANK YOU, you just made my day.
        Cliff

Comment

Tucker1931, You have a great start on your Wood Spirit carving. Looking firward in seeing your future pieces after you get more experience in Wood Spirit Carving. They should be GREAT. Merle

Comment

Nice job Tucker ... I dont know much about woodspirits .. but I like this one ..

Good job ...

Gene

Comment

I think you have heard pine from almost everyone so I'll add my name to the list. You'll know once you finish applying it if a light stain is the way to go. You have a lot of cuts so it should show up well. As for the eyes...hmmmm. I used to burn all my eyes but the last 4-6 woodspirits and characters have been painted. If your staying with the natural wood color and not painting, I would go with burning them in.
              You did a great job on your first woodspirit.
              Patrick

Comment

You should be very proud of this. I agree with the rest....a light stain would be better. I may have to buy a woodburner just so I can try Kathy's trick. I have always cut in the pupils.

A suggestion for your next spirit....try to get a little more movement in the beard. And give him a little more forehead before you start the hair.

Great job. Just goes to show.... us old uns can still learn.

Comment

Nice job on your first spirit he looks a lot better than my first try. Now I would have said use a gouge and chisel out the eye ball because that is what I do. But after looking at your carving I think if the way you have them curved already if you took your time and painted them they would be better.
                  I guess it is matter of preference but after reading your thread I think it about time for me to change and try painting a few. That what this board is all about learning from others and I love to learn. Please be sure and post a picture when you have him completed. I agree with the others Pine sounds fine I think walnut is a little dark for this guy.
                  Colin
                  Jim - The Doing is as much fun as the Viewing!
                  Jackson, MS

Comment

Time for me to jump in here and say"thanks for all the kind words" ****, I love my new hobby, sure wish I had started 50 or so years sooner. Oh well I'll just keep pluggin away and havin a ball, momma's gonna get me some more tools. Heck 6 weeks ago I couldn't even spell wuld carver and now I are one. Thanks again.
                    Cliff

Comment

Originally posted by tucker1931
                      kathy, your eyes look relly great, I like that a lot better than cutting holes with a gouge or for that matter just dabbing a black eye ball. THANK YOU, you just made my day.
                      Cliff
                      Hey your are most welcome, glad you liked my burned eyes idea. I like to paint my eyes also, but only if I'm painting the whole carving.
                      Keep up the good work!
                      Kathy

Comment

Joy, thanks for viewing my humble attempt at a spirit and THANK YOU for pointing out the forehead, to be honest I never realized how little forehead I had till you mentioned it. Point well taken, I can assure you, my next one will indeed have a forehead. I had been wondering about wrinkles when I was at the point I'm at, and still didn't realize there wasn't enough room. Thanks again, like Colin said "we can all learn something from this forum"

Comment

Joy, just to let you know, I found some more forehead on my spirit and I've burnt the eyes in (not painted yet) will post a new pic tomorrow. Thanks again for pointing out my error.
                          Cliff

Comment

Cliff, I have received so much help from people here taking the time to comment on the carvings I have posted. That's what makes this place so great. So when someone else asks for comments... I offer my observations. That doesn't mean I am right....just trying to help. Glad this worked out for you. Can't wait to see the results.

Comment

Hey bud, I am not even a beginner carver yet and I think that looks awesome. I am signed up for a wood spirit class at my local WoodCraft store next week, so I am waiting till after the class before I start buying tools and getting started. I only hope mine looks half that good. Congrats and keep it up and keep taking pictures.

Comment

Working...
                              X