Getting back to some carving...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting back to some carving...

It has been awhile since I have posted as I have been very busy but I have dropped in briefly to see some the fine work that is being posted. I am finally back to the log that I started back in July. I took Mottles advice and instead of carving the log in it`s rounded form I cut it all away and made a flat surface and started over and it is coming along pretty good. Here is my progress so far. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated..Bruce

Re: Getting back to some carving...

Nice start there Knothole, What kind of wood is that? I like the red color of it. Keeep it going and post some follow up pixs. Thumbs Up

Comment

That is looking really good. The only thing that jumps out at me is the perspective on the wheel on the right. The back of the wheel doesn't recede enough...in the area where it touches the cannon. I'm not smart enough to know how to fix it...just thought I would pass on my observations. And it could just be the picture. It should be a great scene when you finish.

Comment

Thanks Gergie, the wood is chestnut from a 200 year old log cabin...Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Joy
          That is looking really good. The only thing that jumps out at me is the perspective on the wheel on the right. The back of the wheel doesn't recede enough...in the area where it touches the cannon. I'm not smart enough to know how to fix it...just thought I would pass on my observations. And it could just be the picture. It should be a great scene when you finish.
          Thanks for your insight on the piece Joy, I kinda get carried away and start fine tuning before I actually have things roughed out the way I should. Still have a long way to go. i`ll keep ya`ll posted on my progress...Bruce

Comment

Looks like some nice oak great work keep it up and a good idea too

Comment

That should be a fine piece once completed knothole. I like the old west theme. I'm always impressed how you relief carvers make the carvings three dimensional with so little depth. Will be looking for your update.
              Patrick

Comment

darn nice looking piece of work. Good luck on the face being as it's so small, that could be a real challenge. I'm a new carver but I like what I see.

Comment

How is the chestnut for carving, the reddish color looks real good! Bet you won't want to do anything other than natural. Isn't that a soldier and a cannon. Skip

Comment

Working...
                  X