First Spirit.....Ready For Stain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Spirit.....Ready For Stain

Joy, as promised here's the finished spirit. I had to paint the eyes to give him a sort of surprised look (hope it works) and OK OK OK, I'm gonna stain him with puritain pine, altho my thoughts were to use walnut, every one thought pine would be better. More pix to follow (I hope)
    Cliff

Re: First Spirit.....Ready For Stain

Cliff, Well you have accomplished the suprised look. Looks like he's in the middle of a posterior exam. But that don't mean I don't like him. In fact I do like him. Is that really the first one? I'll bet there'll be lots more..Tom H
    http://beginnerscarvingcorner.blogspot.com/

Comment

Tom, thanks very much for the kind words. Yes, that is my very first (alone). I was very fortunate to have Coffeeman drive all the way over here and spend a day with me, we carved a spirit each in cottonwood bark, step by step, he however did take mine frequently to guide me along, so this is my very first piece. Bill (Coffeeman) came a second time to get me going on caricatures, but I have to admit I've failed miserably on those so will concentrate on my first love, the wood spirit for garden use.

Comment

Hey! you did find some more forehead. He looks good. I like the shape of his mouth. Have you thought about painting his eyes just a tad larger. He would still look surprised...but the larger iris would go with the larger eye shape. But don't let my idea of a wood spirit interfere with your vision of a wood spirit.

Comment

I look at him and get a feeling of some kind of indian art, very nice hope to see many more. Feb

Comment

Very nice work, Cliff. I like his surprised look. Good job with that.

Comment

Hi gang, thanks for your support. Joy, I'm with you on this one, "the eyes gotts be bigger, and they will be". Dang, I'm gonna get this right if it kills me.

Comment

Tucker, whatever you do is "right". Just have fun!

Comment

Cliff,

Very good "solo" job on your first spirit. I know you've been nervous about tackling that piece of wood, but you did a real fine job and its yours 100%, no coaching help.

When you start your next one, first take a look at this one again, refresh yourself with ideas. comments, structure, etc, that you'd like to different on the second one. Don't go for broke, just focus on maybe one/two little changes on what you'd like to improve, then go forward with it, learning more and more with each new carving attempted and you'll grow just like the garden is going to grow where this first spirit is being placed.

Congratulations Cliff on a job well done. Bill

Comment

Bill, you've just made my day, I was wondering when you'd be aboard and see it. I think I'm ready for stain now, I've enlarged the eyes some what and will do a final check before I stain. I will definitely post as soon as it's done. Meanwhile, how's next Saturday lookin to ya? You've gotta come over and pick up your square anyway. Just maybe I'll ne ready to try that golf ball thing we started.
                    Cliff

Comment

Great job Tucker I really like the expression on his face, and remember practice , practice, practice...Bruce

Comment

Working...
                      X