Royal Navy Frigate Captain cir. 1800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Royal Navy Frigate Captain cir. 1800

Been chipping away at this gentleman, Thomas Kydd RN, a fictional character in the books by Julian Stockwin, an English author of my acquaintance. He has 22 books in the series and a few stand alones. Of coarse they are they are stories of the sea and ships, historical fiction, but all based on historical fact. The bust stands 13.5" tall and 6.5" wide, and is carved in Butternut. I would appreciate any and all criticism as to how to improve. Enjoy.

Bob
    post captain.jpg
    post captain 2.jpg
    post captain 3.jpg
    Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Bob,

Congratulations on stepping out of your comfort zone. There’s a lot of good stuff going on there. From the front the facial proportions are real good. Great details on the uniform buttons and button holes, wow.

The classic challenge in carving faces is giving them enough depth.
    801744DA-A421-4768-977D-29C2483FFDDA.jpeg6DBCB89D-78FA-4B39-BC07-3078E2ED83F3.jpeg
    This is my cheat a plastic card with a 105* cutout it is the magic almost universal angle of the human face. (Excluding the forehead) Even when using the card I still come up a little short of making this angle sometimes. I use this even on smaller carvings like my fly fisherman.
    E633AF0F-38F4-4936-9F7B-F06128B73820.jpegA2BB1B16-1115-4682-BA34-F5B3F843C770.jpeg I
    I don’t want to be piling on but you did ask for all so. Making the eyes look in a direction other than straight ahead is helpful and ears flow out of the side of the face.
    I think another thing that helps me when carving busts is that I work from photos at a minimum front and profile enlarged to match the scale of my work. I’m constantly taking measurements with calipers so I can transfer to the carving.
    07381A74-BA72-41C5-9ED3-6D888BC99364.jpeg
    Size matters. I’m usually carving between 50% to 80% of life sized. It’s easier to add detail when the details are larger.
    I hope that wasn’t too much.
    Last edited by Nebraska; 05-20-2020, 08:35 AM.
    Ed
    Living in a pile of chips.
    https://m.facebook.com/pg/CentralNeb...ernal&mt_nav=0

Comment

Originally posted by squbrigg View Post
      Been chipping away at this gentleman, Thomas Kydd RN, a fictional character in the books by Julian Stockwin, an English author of my acquaintance. He has 22 books in the series and a few stand alones. Of coarse they are they are stories of the sea and ships, historical fiction, but all based on historical fact. The bust stands 13.5" tall and 6.5" wide, and is carved in Butternut. I would appreciate any and all criticism as to how to improve. Enjoy.

Bob
      post captain.jpg
      post captain 2.jpg
      post captain 3.jpg
      I do believe I saw that guy on the Hornblower series!

Comment

Nice carving, Bob, and the "period" clothing is great. I need to check the books you mentioned because I am not familiar with him. My gg-grandfather was a whaler so I always like the sea stories...fiction or not. Thanks!
        Bill
        Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Thanks for the tips Ed, I like your idea of the angle of the face with the card stock angle jig. I try to learn and improve and with the help of my fellow carvers I am able to. Thanks again.

Bob
          Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

I too am trying to improve on my skills, rather than just make chips, one thing that stands out to me is the depth of the head. I try to follow the proportions of 5 eyes widths wide x 7 eye widths tall x 6 eye width deep, with the ear falling in about half the head. With that out of the way, there is just so much good detail here!
            . . .JoeB

Comment

Finally got some paint on the captain, and set up on a Walnut base. I appreciate the great pointers that have been offered for improvement and have taken them to heart for my next project. Practice makes perfect, or close to it.

Bob
              captain 1.jpg
              captain 2.jpg
              captain 3.jpg
              captain 4.jpg

Comment

Wow, nice going Bob. Fellow looks swell and a nice paint job.
                Bill
                Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

That is a LOT!!! of excellent work Well done.

Comment

Working...
                  X