Carving Otters in stream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carving Otters in stream

I am working on a carving with a couple of otters IMG_1384.jpg and am planning to place them in a stream. The stream IMG_1385.jpgwill be created using artificial water. Rocks are being created, for the stream bed, from apoxy paste. I am painting the “rocks” IMG_1452.jpg made from leftover Apoxy I also have a collection of talons and claws made from leftover Apoxy.

I am seeking information from anyone who has used this medium. How thick should the pours be? How to remove bubbles? How to create flows on the surface of the stream? I have been researching online & watching You Tube and gleaned some information. I want a smooth surface with just some ripples to indicate flow and most of the You Tube want to create splashing.

I’m betting that’s going to be beautiful when your done. Great carving!
    Ed
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/HiddenInWood
    Local club
    https://www.facebook.com/CentralNebraskaWoodCarvers

Comment

This is wild. you might try hitting it with a heat gun to see if the bubbles would rise to the surface and bust. Alway enjoy your work, will be watching for further developments
      . . .JoeB

Comment

Hi Paul , I used a Small V Tool and a # 7 U Gouge to make Ripples . You know the look that you want and I think you can create that look with these 2 Tools . Merle

Comment

Hi Paul , this is the way I did mine , no show stopper but maybe get you to thinking different ways . Merle
          Attached Files

Comment

I know a builder, now retired, who made dozens of dioramas for a museum of anthropology.
            The human figures, First Nations indians, were maybe 50% taller than a Barbie doll.

One scene depicted a fishing weir. Essentially a fish trap of sticks woven into a mesh used to intercept the spawning run in a small river.

The water surface was a sheet of clear plexiglas, with the usual stones, fish and bottom contours visible. To the top surface, he had added dribbles of methyl methacrylate ( fiberglass boat building resin) to model all the ripples of the flowing water.

Very effective but the viewer (me) had to get down low to see light reflections off the surface. Otherwise, the ripples were practically invisible.

Don't know if that gives you any ideas, it was quite an effective model display.

Brian T

Comment

This is a miniature scene, and probably more than you want, but it gives some good ideas that might apply to your project https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsnOMOiR1e4

Comment

Sappy, do you think this guy really knows what he is doing Thanks for this great post
                . . .JoeB

Comment

That's going to be amazing Paul. Keep up the great work.

Bob
                  Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

That is going to be something special It already has the wow factor!! Love otters gorgeous creatures!!!!

Comment

Thank you very much Sappy. This video has supplied a lot of the information I was seeking. I have been exploring this subject on You Tube but had not run across this site. I will adopt some of the habitat ideas and most of the water ideas. The one thing I want is to create non-white capping waves to just show water flow. I may be able to use some information from the video to accomplish this.

One of the main things I learned is how to color the water so that it remains clear and does not look like glass. Wonderful! Now, to find American versions of the British products.
                      Last edited by Paul_Guraedy; 06-13-2020, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Paul, look for rail road modeling products. Miniature rail road enthusiast are really a great resource, I have seen most of these products available. Love your otters, and looking forward to seeing your creation.

Comment

I have spent the past 3 hours online chasing down You Tube information for my Otter project. A little information here, more over there and eventually Eureka. I think I now have enough information to continue the habitat. I intend to create a shadow box around the carving (about 1/4" space) to set off and be the frame.

Comment

That is really going to be something. Looking forward to seeing the completed project.

I'm also interested in knowing how you do it, because I'm working on designing a scene that will contain a water feature. A little texture to the water would be a nice addition.

Comment

My friens, I left the otters without the stream I initially planned. Once I put the otters on the base ~ I realized that there was insufficient room for land on both sides and opted for a lake. The otters and base are basswood, the rocks (in the stream) are formed from Apoxy, the driftwood is sticks I picked up around the house and the reeds are excelsior. Lichen at the base of the boulder is formed from model paste.

View side.jpg The base, other than the carved rocks on front, has been covered with soft gel gloss. to make even that left above water to look wet. It also seals the wood for the artificial water.

left side.jpg The base, other than the carved rocks on front, has been covered with soft gel gloss. to make even that visible above water to look wet.

Right side.jpg
                              The final step will be to use artificial water pours to the depth that it will cover some of the rocks and leave others above the surface. I have spent hours reviewing you tube on how to pour artificial water, what type to use, how to make waves, ripples and such. Of course, anything from the included photos on is subject to change.

Comment

Working...
                              X