More vacation carving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More vacation carving

Yesterday I began working on a couple of cottonwood bark houses that I started several years ago and then put aside. Then I took a break to saw up a juniper branch that I took down a few years ago. Then I got distracted by the idea of turning one of the knot cutoffs into a small parts holder.

Today I finished the knots and a spoon that I started the other day, and whittled another of those little cocktail forks. That fork is a fun little whittle doodle. The challenge is seeing how far you can get before resorting to sandpaper.

knots.jpgcx.jpg

My new PSI Woodworking dust collector (background of first photo) stopped working this afternoon. I turned it off to go to lunch and when I came back it wouldn't turn on. The power outlets on the side work, but the fans don't come on. Likely a bad switch. I just got it on Wednesday, I think. Will have to call tomorrow about a replacement.

Even with the new dust collector, all that carving over the last four days has my whole shop covered in dust. I got my WEN ceiling-mounted air filter today. Installation tomorrow. Might have to confine my carving to knife work, though, until I get a replacement for the dust collector.

That is a drop dead gorgeous piece of wood in the centre left photo . Nice job just love it. Love the big one in the centre left on the right hand photo as well Most people would throw those bits of wood away but after seeing your work with them I will be looking for them. Nice stuff thanks for posting. Yet another thing to put on the to Do list !!!

Comment

Absolutely beautiful woods and the carvings are very nice. I've worked with Juniper before and it is gorgeous wood. Keep posting.
      Bill
      Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

This is an interesting idea, I bet these would sell well at a craft show, well done on all your project.
        . . .JoeB

Comment

It seems that you can't work on just one thing at a time , but you do and do it Well . Like them all . Merle

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn Jennings View Post
            That is a drop dead gorgeous piece of wood in the centre left photo . Nice job just love it. Love the big one in the centre left on the right hand photo as well Most people would throw those bits of wood away but after seeing your work with them I will be looking for them. Nice stuff thanks for posting. Yet another thing to put on the to Do list !!!
            All three of those would have shown that striping pattern if I had sanded them smooth. For the one on the right, I just peeled off the outer bark and went over what was left with a brass brush to remove anything loose. The bottom one, I carved and shaped slightly, then went over with a fine diamond bit to remove scratches. The insides of all three bowls are sanded to 220 grit. Finish on all three is mineral oil and beeswax.

Yeah, I've probably thrown away hundreds of these knots over the years. You can bet I'll be saving them from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
              This is an interesting idea, I bet these would sell well at a craft show, well done on all your project.
              Thanks, JoeB. Craft show, huh? I keep thinking about it. But it sounds like work. And I have a real job. For now, I'm happy making stuff for myself, my wife, and friends.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Merle Rice View Post
                It seems that you can't work on just one thing at a time , but you do and do it Well . Like them all . Merle
                Thanks, Merle. Yeah, I get ideas sometimes and just have to try them out. Which is why there are so many unfinished projects. Surprisingly, I've been pretty good the last year, actually finishing older projects, and not starting a lot of new ones that I then abandon. If I get back to it, maybe I can clear out the unfinished projects by the end of the year . . .

Comment

I can relate to the getting sidetracked into new projects hehehe. We have an old Kiwi saying. " Don't knock it if it works" hehe and it looks like it is working for you as you are getting a lot of good work done.

I started a D28 guitar and got sidetracked into pyrography, and carving. Have a couple of projects to finfish then I might get back to it BUT my wood lathe just arrived so I might get sidetracked for a couple of turning projects. It's all good fun and that is all that matters!!

Comment

Very nice Jim, looks excellent.
                    Mark N. Akers
                    My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

Nice work, Jim. Small parts holders...very useful item for the workbench, or even the wife's sewing...

Claude
                      My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/

My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/

My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Originally posted by Claude View Post
                        Nice work, Jim. Small parts holders...very useful item for the workbench, or even the wife's sewing...

Claude
                        Wife's sewing. Not so much. But she did mention holding rivets and such when she's doing leather work. And chain mail rings, when she's working on that. On my workbench, it'd mostly collect dust.

Comment

Working...
                        X